2- The Note

I walked into class angry, scanning the faces of all the students that immediately looked at me when I walked in. They all looked away as soon as my eyes landed on them. One has to be guilty.

"Meet me at the courtyard after potions."

That's what the note said. That's what drove me into a rage to find the messenger. The courtyard? Seriously, already I have a fight scheduled?? If whoever wrote that note wanted to THREATEN me, they couldn't do it in person? No way I'm going down without getting in some good spells.

Deep down, you could say I was scared of this unknown new enemy. However, I wouldn't let them see it.

I sat down and caught Ben glancing at me and I realized he was shivering. Oh no, I think I might have amplified his fear of me. I felt terrible about it but by then class started.

"Take our your books and open them to page 45",  professor Flitwick called.

During class, the professor seemed to like how I was casting Lumos, and decided I should instruct some of the struggling students. A girl and boy I didn't know the names of, and Ben Copper.

"Okay, so I assume you guys can hold your wands correctly, you just need to do this", I showed them the little swish with my wand.

I traced my eyes over all three of them copying my action and stopped and stared at Ben. His hands were shaking. Uncontrollably.

"Ben, are you okay?"

"Y-yes!" He struggled to get that word out. I sighed, I knew it was my fault that he was like this because of how angry I was earlier in class and how scared he already was of me.

I walked over so I was positioned beside him and carefully placed my hand over his that held his wand.

I made my voice quiet, "Why do you look at me like I'm some monster.  I wouldn't hurt you, Ben." I offered a warm smile.

"I-it's not just that.. Its..." He stared at me for a moment. I liked that we could be face to face without it being weird. However, his eyes held something back, then they looked down at my lips and paused.

He looked down, "It's nothing"

"Whatever it is, you need to cast this spell first."

He did the little swish and blurted, "Lumos!", and it worked. But he still seemed nervous about something else.

"Nicely done!" I said, looking over at the other two on their fourth or fifth attempt.

After class ended, my house was given 10 points for my excellence in class. I was proud to have contributed to my house now. However, I still needed to face whoever wanted to fight me in the courtyard. Rowan caught up with me,

"Y/n!"

I stopped and waited for her, she looked concerned,

"Y/n, where are you going? We have class together next." I looked around at all the students walking by and lead her to the nearest bathroom.

"I don't know who sent it." I showed her the crumpled note. She looked at me confused.

"You're going by yourself? That's really dangerous, you shouldn't go."

"I'm going, I won't back down from a challenge. This is my chance to show everyone in this school that I'm not just the poor girl with the missing brother!" I said angrily.

Rowan sighed, "Well, looks like I have no way of changing your mind. But I'm coming with you."

"Okay."

The only people that were at the courtyard were the class that Professor Hooch was teaching, all making their way to the brooms. Was it one of them that wanted to fight me? Would someone really do that under the supervision of a professor? That could only turn out badly in many ways. Just then, I heard a voice.

"Y/n."

I turned around, ready to face my opponent. Then I saw who it was and I was stunned to find Ben. The most harmless person at this school. Who seemingly wouldn't hurt a fly. Who would fear every aspect of the wizarding world and is forced to overcome his fears every day. He was the person that left that note, but why?

"Ben?" I asked, probably looking like an idiot. Rowan, who I forgot was there, giggled and decided to leave me. After she was gone Ben started,

"I have an unusual request..." He gulped, "I want you to pretend that we're dating."