5- Rumours

~   ~   ~   ~   ~

Y/n's Point Of View

I woke up to a cat hissing loudly and Ben trying to gently shake me awake.

"Y-y/n!"

The first thing I saw was Mrs. Norris and Mr. Filch standing right behind her, both looking furious.

I scrambled up. "G-good morning Mr Filch," I looked down deciding to address the cat, "Ms Norris."

"GET OUTTA HERE YOU FILTHY MONGRELS, SHOO!"

I heard Ben squeak and took his hand to make a run for it. I pushed open the door to see the halls crowded with students.

"Terrible children, I'm glad today's the last day.", I overheard Mr. Filch grumble as we speed walked away.

I passed by Merula who snickered, "Where were you two off to last night?"

"None of your concern!" I spat.

I listened to the chatter  around us and made it out that today was the last day of this year. Everyone was headed towards their classes and I wasn't even in my robes yet. I let go of Ben's hand, but he was still holding on.
"Ben, I need to go-"

"Thanks", He blurted, "For last night."

I smiled at him, "Anytime, I had a lot of fun."

I watched his own little smile grow and I had to stop myself from thinking how this would be a perfect time to kiss him. But he doesn't see me that way so I pushed the thought out of my mind.

"I gotta go." And with that, I turned around to head to my dorm and change into my robes.

~   ~   ~   ~   ~

Ben's Point Of View

I went through my classes distracted most of the time. I couldn't focus on one thing for much since she kept taking over my thoughts. I kept thinking about how pretty she looked when she slept. How her tough exterior melted away completely. I didn't sit beside her anymore, after all, we had no reason to be 'dating' anymore. I already missed sitting beside her in classes. I can only imagine how much I'd miss her over the summer.
I went through the end of term feast. I made sure to eat as much as I could and savour the last day of this year. I caught her looking at me and I felt my face get warm from the embarrassment. I probably looked like a fool eating everything in my path. She giggled and turned away, making me feel more embarrassed.

~   ~   ~   ~   ~

"Mind if we take a seat?" Y/n surprised me at the train. She was followed by Rowan.

"N-no! I don't mind." I gestured to the empty seats across from me. She sat next to me. I was planning on making my way home alone and was perfectly fine with that. But this was even better. How was it that her mere presence was changing my mood?

"You were really into that feast, weren't you?" She giggled.

"I was just enjoying the food-!" I felt my face get hot.

"I know," she laughed, "It was really good." And Rowan agreed with her.

Rowan spoke up, "Besides the feast, what the heck were you both doing last night? The whole school's been talking about how you were alone together in the artifact room! Blimey, some kids said you we're probably snogging!", She eyed us suspiciously.

"Snogging!?" Laughed Y/n, "Seriously, I can't believe people think we did that."
She regained herself from her laughing fit which I decided to add some of my own, awkward, laughter.

As crazy as it sounds, I didn't mind the idea of snogging her in that room. She clearly didn't feel the same way and I couldn't help but feel a little pained.

"What we're you doing then?" Rowan said.

"Studying!" I blurted.

Both Y/n and Rowan looked at me confused.

"So we don't forget what we learned this year over the summer." I quickly lied.

"Hm, that sounds more like something I would do. Am I rubbing off on you, (Nickname)?" Rowan giggled.

"No, I simply want to remember the spells..." Y/n said as she eyed me, still confused, then looked back at Rowan, "And don't call me that!" She smiled.

I could look at her smile all day.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Y/n's Point Of View

The train ride felt short with Ben and Rowan with me. I still couldn't figure out why Ben decided to lie about us talking in the artifact room. I took it as a sign he didn't want others to know we're close. I thought we moved past that.

We played silly games on the way home like charades and twenty questions. Before we knew it the train was stopping as Rowan was doing her best Merula Snyde impression. I was laughing, and when I looked over at Ben, he was holding a laugh too. I was glad to see him amused at something he feared. Even if it was just a silly impression of Merula.

We got out of the train and I hugged Rowan tightly and said goodbye. Then I turned to Ben and smiled,

"See you next year?"

"Y-yeah"

I pulled him into a hug before leaving to spend my summer at home.