XX

Elise blushed as her mate fed her her amazing stack of pancakes covered in melted chocolate. She absolutely loved chocolate and pancakes. He had even put marshmallows on top of it.

She didn't know whether or not she liked being stared at by everyone around her. She was on his lap being fed and although she enjoyed it everyone was watching her interactions with the king.

They all seemed to be either infatuated with their relationship, jealous or they were sceptical and weary. She was not a big fan of being judged and being in the public eye.

She was used to being an Omega, running around doing whatever people asked with no one paying any attention to her or her mistakes and successes. Having all eyes on her was intimidating.

She had never had such attention when she was with René. She had been the "nerd". She had been their little slave who carried their books, went over their schedules, did their homework and was dragged to sleepovers and parties to be picked on. She had been the ugly one of the group or at least the plain boring one. She truly had never been interesting. Despite her 'friends' no one would actually be with her.

Her eyes went wide as something suddenly came back to her. How had she forgotten that she had killed René. Thinking of René made her remember the events.

It was so clear in her memory.

She could still hear her own scream as René's claws had dragged along her back before the final moment. The moment she had plummeted down.

She shoved Revion away and ran.

"Elise!" Revion yelled running after her but she dodged around people, moving agile and quick.

She ignored her back screaming in pain as ran out of the hall, leaving Revion behind staring at her heartbroken as Chandler and Justin held him back.

She needed to search for René. Maybe she was alive. Maybe she was alive and Elise could redeem herself.

Elise ran through the halls, searching for a way outside. She needed to get out. She needed to go outside. Nothing else mattered.

The dark halls surrounded her. They formed an inescapable labyrinth that kept her lost and captive.

She didn't know where she was going but she had to find a way out. There was truly no other way for her to come to peace with what had happened. She ran about the halls, lost and helpless.

She stopped at a door and slowly approached it. It was large and appeared to lead to the desired destination.

She pulled and shoved at it until finally it opened.

Wind blew on the queen, dusting against her soft skin and moving her dress in a gentle dance.

She took a step out into the outside. She had never ventured the outside of the castle alone. It should have been daunting but she had other priorities.

The tall forest trees surrounded her. They drowned out the sun leaving just striking shards of light slipping through their green clouds of darkness.

The trees were giants, mammoth in size, dwarfing her already tiny form. She could compare the trees to her emotions, both were larger than herself. One could easily crush her body and the other was busy crushing her heart and mind.

Her bare feet sank into the ground. Cold grass was crushed under her soft feet.

Pale hands hung loosely at her sides.

Curly brown hair was whipped about by the wind as she limped through the forest garden. She pushed through the horrible pain as she explored, determined.

Tears were staining her pink cheeks. She could feel the water running down her skin, running down little droplets of guilt only making the lake of pain, hurt and suffering in her chest grow larger and larger.

She needed to see René. She needed to see her alive. She had to know. She was scared to know but she so needed it. She didn't want to know whether she was truly guilty but if there was a chance René was alive.

She walked for a long time. She could feel the feelings growing exponentially to titanic sizes. She was ready to give up. She wanted to drop down and never get up.

Her eyes fell on a spot. There was blood, fresh and recent blood splattered on soft blades of grass.

Forced into the grass was the imprint of a girl. She could see dirt. A wolf or girl with super strength crashing down would undoubtedly leave such a mark.

Elise fell to her knees in shame. Her heart was pulsing.

There was a piece of jewelry. A necklace. Not just a necklace. The necklace. René's favourite necklace, the one that was a gift from her mate.

The diamonds in the beautiful heart were bloodied.

Elise grabbed the necklace and turned it over.

She read out the delicately engraved writing in the pure gold plating on the back, "To the love of my life, René. Happy 18th Birthday."

The necklace fell from Elise's hands.

Elise let out a loud scream. Her head dropped into her hands as she began to scream and sob.

It was René's necklace.

She felt absolute despair.

She was a murderer. She had killed René.

Her eyes were burning from the tears that kept coming from them and her hands were drenched in water droplets that fell from her eyes.

Her lips whispered pleads for help as she felt her heart being dragged down.

She felt utterly alone.

Why did René have to have attacked her and Revion? Things could have been resolved. Nothing had to end in death and violence. Violence only got people hurt and killed.

She never wanted to have René killed. René was just driven to madness by her circumstances.

"René why did it have to be you? Why did you have to do this? I was going to try persuade him to pardon you. Maybe things would not have turned out like this if the rogues had killed me," Elise whispered regretfully.

Her eyes couldn't even bear to maintain contact with the necklace any longer. That necklace was the last part of René she had.

A/N

Thank you for all your amazing comments. I have really enjoyed responding to a lot of them and some of them have made me laugh a bit.

Your support has gotten me to #393 out of 434K in #Fiction. It jumped over a hundred in a day thanks to all of you voting and commenting and I am so happy.

Quick Question:
What is your favourite movie or TV show?

My favourite series is My Hero Academia.

For those of you who answer the quick questions I have been asking recently, thank you. I love being able to interact with my readers in the comments.