Chapter Twenty-Five

I walked down the hallway, the butterflies in my stomach fluttering their wings with excitement. I took a deep breath and peeked my head and made eye contact with Mylo who raised his glass to make a toast.

As he was dragging his words, half-drunk from the cheap wine Harry had provided, I managed to swiftly walk down the stairs with only Oliver noticing. He came up to me and hugged me tightly.
"I knew you'd look amazing in that dress the day I bought it for you" he smiled. I felt my cheeks take a warm colour of pink as I reciprocated the hug.

"You shouldn't have spent your money, but I love it, I feel beautiful in it" I took a big breath as people started noticing my presence in the room, starting to come over for either a hug or a simple happy birthday wish.

Oliver brought me a red-solo cup and cheekily told me to conceal its contents. I took a sip, the taste of champagne coating my tongue. He later clarified that only some of us were drinking the nice stuff. I giggled and nodded, chugging the rest.

He blushed and choked on a chuckle. "Take it easy". "Nope" I replied and refilled my cup. He rolled his eyes and took a big gulp of his own drink, leaving discreetly out the way to allow other people to surround me. Emma was the first person to hug me, her eyes gleaming enthusiastically.

As I was chatting to the guests I noticed Eithan and Victoria across the room. Her gracefully uncovered back was facing me but I could still tell how stunning she was in her navy blue dress. Eithan and I locked eyes. He was wearing a simple black suit with a blue-green patterned tie. I smiled at him but he didn't seem to react, he was simply looking at me.

I broke our eye contact with a short sigh, putting on my lively mask to continue my aimless conversations with other friends and acquaintances.

The clock chimed 12 and an echoing roar of cheers filled the room. I laughed, suffocating in a giant group hug and people started to happily sing the birthday song. The crowd parted slightly as Mylo was approaching with the cake and set it on the table.

I tried to take a big mental picture of what was happening. I felt genuinely happy but I couldn't shake the thought that something was still missing. As the song was coming to an end, I took a big breath, ready to blow out each one of the 18 candles.

"Don't forget your wish!" Oliver said beside me with a big happy smile. I nodded and swiftly blew on the cake, needing to take another breath for a couple of them that still remained lit. I looked up again and looked at the smiling figures before me as they started applauding.

Mylo came over and gave me a tight hug. "Sweet 18" he whispered happily in my ear. "I hope you like the party" he winked and I chuckled. "It's amazing... You're amazing" I replied and kissed his cheek. Soon other people came, hugging me and wishing me a happy birthday.

Emma never left my side, I was a bit worried as she was already on her third drink. I giggled under my breath as she wobbled towards James' direction.

I was refilling my cup when I felt a light tap on my shoulder. I turned around to face my red-headed friend who was looking at me awkwardly. "Hello" she said quietly. I breathed in and smiled at her. "Hi, I hope you're enjoying the party" I replied and handed her a drink. She looked at the cup and then up at me, small droplets forming at the corners of her eyes. "Happy birthday Liv" she smiled back at me. "Thank you" I replied as she hugged me cautiously. I hugged her back.

I still didn't know how I felt about her. What happened had hurt me. But I wasn't going to let it ruin tonight. I needed one night when I wasn't thinking.

I let the music consume me and started dancing amongst my friends. I was surrounded by my family and I wouldn't want to change that for the world. I looked at their flustered happy faces and I knew that I'd remember this night for a long time.