Chapter 8

Let me just start off by saying I'm so sorry for not writing. Now that we are in Quarantine, I'm going to try and write more. I hope y'all enjoy 😉

I followed closely behind Jack in case he were to fall over due to his drunken state. "So tell me, love, why were you distracting my crew member just now?" Jack said, tripping. I quickly caught him by the arm to keep him from falling face forward. "We haven't been able to talk in years, so we had a lot to catch up on," I said, putting his arm over my shoulder to help him. "And why are you unable to do that on your own time?" He muttered, his face scrunching up. I looked up at him, stopping both of us. "Why are you so concerned about this? Are you jealous?" I said, my voice turning childish as I teased him. He looked me in the eyes as he hesitated. "Of course not. You're simply causing us to take longer to arrive." He said, moving forward and pulling me along with him. I chuckled "whatever you say, Captain."

We finally arrived at his living quarters, and I tried to open the door, but it was locked. "I need the key," I said, holding out my hand. He eyed my hand skeptically "what if I don't want to give it to you?" "Then I guess you'll be laying out here on the floor" I started to lower him to the ground. "I'm the Captain. I shouldn't be sitting on the ground outside of my bedroom," he complained. I gave him an annoyed look "then give me the keys, or I'm going to leave you here." He raised an eyebrow "you're not allowed to treat me that way. I'm the Captain on this ship and no one else." "Well, when you start acting like a Captain instead of a drunk, then I might give you the treatment you deserve."

I started lowering him to the ground again "unless you give me the keys, I'm leaving you here." He studied my face to see if I was bluffing, but once he saw the stubbornness in my eyes, he sighed. "Fine, but I'll need them back as soon as the door is opened." He pulled them out and handed them to me. "Thank you," I said, putting the key into the lock and opening the door. I helped (more like dragged) Jack to the bed, which he collapsed on, landing face first. I covered my mouth to hide my smile at his childishness.

He turned around and looked up at me, holding out his hand. "My keys back if you please." "Why are you so careful to have them on you all the time and not let anyone touch them?" I said, examining the keys. He gave me an annoyed look "that, my dear, is none of your business. So if you would kindly give me my keys and allow me to get some sleep, I would appreciate it because my head is killing me." I looked at him and smirked. "Well, dragging your drunk butt all the way down here gave me a headache, so I'd be honored to return the favor.

I put the keys in the pocket of my custom-made dress. He sat up immediately, almost falling to the floor. "Give those back," he said, slurring the words together. "Or what?" I challenged, looking him in the eyes. "I'm the Captain, and I'll have you thrown overboard!" He narrowed his eyes "or worse, I could force you to sleep in the same room as the crew." I narrowed my eyes "you wouldn't dare." "You underestimate me, love," he said, reaching for my pocket from his bed. I took a step back and dangled them above my head. "If you want them, you have to come to get-" I was cut off by Jack jumping up, wrapping his arm around my waist, and grabbing the keys with his other hand. I gasped at his closeness as his breath got slightly faster at the realization of what he just did. We made eye contact and held it until the shock wore off. "I-I um, well.." he trailed off, taking a step back. "Yeah, I got to um.." I quickly turned and walked out of the room, closing the door behind me.

I reached the stairs to go on deck before I was able to process what happened. I felt my cheeks getting warm "argh! Why am I letting him affect me like this? He's just a guy. I haven't gotten flustered for a guy in a really long time. Just breathe, I can't let anyone see me like this" I took a deep breath, and once I composed myself, I climbed up the stairs and pushed open the door.