Chapter 11

It had been a couple of hours since I had started steering the ship, and I had no idea where Martha disappeared too. She had probably gone to spend time with Jacob. I sighed, remembering when there was a time that I used to have someone like that in my life. I shook away the thought. No, no, Roxanne, you're not gonna do this to yourself, I said, giving myself a mini pep-talk. I played around with the necklace I was wearing. I had only recently started wearing it again due to the memories that it provided.          

A few minutes passed, and I must've zoned out because I didn't notice when someone came up beside me. "Aye," I turned my head to see Jack walking towards me. "Well, good morning, sleepyhead." "What are you doing steering my ship?" He questioned as he watched me. "Repeat what you just said, and you will realize what I'm doing" I rolled my eyes slightly at his question. He slightly narrowed his eyes. "I just woke up, love. It's not the time to try to be humorous." "It's the perfect time because I can make jokes about you, and you won't even realize it," I said, turning and facing the front of the ship.

"But what's the point of making fun of someone if they don't even know you're making fun of them?" He said, confused. "It is about knowing that you came up with it and feeling pride. Unless you're rude about it, in that case, don't poke fun at someone or tease them." "You are too much like a mother. I might need to kick you off the ship for that" I raised my eyebrows at him. "The only reason I have to act like a mother is because no one else on this ship does. I can be very fun and adventurous when I want to be."

I took it a step further, knowing it would irritate him. "I bet I could even drink more rum than you and not get intoxicated" he went entirely serious for a second before slowly smiling. "I accept that bet, I've been drinking for years, and because of that, I've gotten used to drinking happy juice." I started laughing "is that what you call it?" I saw him make a confused face as he repeated what he said in his mind. His eyes widened slightly, and he tried to play it off. "No, I've heard it called that way, and I thought that might be something you called it" I started laughing harder, and some of the crew turned to see what was going on.

I took a step back, and he took control of the ship. "I call it devil's water when I don't refer to it as rum," I said, starting to calm down. "Good for you, mate, now back to that bet. What's in it for me when I win?" I shrugged. "I don't have anything worth betting," He smirked. "I can think of a few things, love," he said as his eyes trailed down my body. "Ew!" I exclaimed as I looked at him in disgust. "I'm not that type of woman at all," I said, walking away. "I've been close enough to you to get an idea of what it's like underneath," he called after me with a knowing smirk. I shook my head in annoyance as I headed down the stairs.

I spotted Jonathan glancing my way in confusion after the whole crew overheard Jack's last statement. I headed in his direction since all he was doing was leaning against the side of the ship. "Do I even want to know what he meant by that?" he asked when I was within earshot. "No, you do not," I said, leaning next to him. "What do you guys normally do for fun? There doesn't seem to be much to do on this ship." I said, realizing that many of the crew members were sitting around since the water was calm.

"We normally get drunk, but that's not till nightfall. During the day, there's not much to do other than tie knots" I looked at him in disbelief. "Please tell me you're joking," he chuckled "we play a few dice games, we gamble a lot, sometimes we sing, playing pranks is a favorite of mine, and some of the more daring crew mates swim next to the ship." "That actually sounds pretty fun. When you guys sing, does someone play an instrument, or do you sing acapella?" I asked curiously. "Usually with instruments. I play mandolin, Jacob plays the fiddle, and Henry plays the concertina," he said, pointing to an older pirate. "That's actually really impressive. I can kind of play piano, but I've been out of practice for a while now," I said, shrugging.

"I was the same way until I joined the crew, then I had free time to practice and get better. Are you and your friend going to be joining us for dinner tonight? Or are you guys still a little nervous?" He asked with a knowing smile. "It's not that I'm nervous so much as I needed some time to adjust to the new lifestyle. Martha, however, is nervous." I said, looking towards her and smiling to see her giggling at something Jacob said. "But to answer your question, yes, I think we will join you guys tonight. I might also join in with the drinking afterward. I need to prove to your Captain that I can out drink him."

He looked at me in surprise. "I didn't know you drink, much less outdrink a drunk." I laughed. "I don't drink very often, but when I do, I tend to make up for lost time." He nodded in understanding. We looked around and noticed some of the crew getting up to readjust the sails since the wind picked up. "I'd better get back to work, but it was nice talking to you, and I look forward to seeing you girls at dinner." After he got up, I headed over to Martha, and the two of us headed down to our rooms to nap until dinner.