Chapter 10: Centuries Ago (part-3)

Where is she? Where can she go? I was wondering and then I said, "I know."

"Huh? You know what?" Dr Branson asked.

"I perhaps know where she might be." I said.

"I think you said the same sentence last time and so here we are." Dr Branson said sarcastically.

"Like she told me where she could be!" I got a bit annoyed with him.

"Wait for me until I come back," I said and walked towards the street. I went to my house and moved to my secret room. And then, I grabbed the dagger. The weapon I made. The weapon that was our only hope to kill Cassandra. I put it inside my bag and left the house.

They must be waiting for me. We have already wasted our time searching for her. She is such a cunning woman. How did I fall into her trap? I am stupid. Such a stupid I am. I was cursing myself all the way. After a few minutes, I reached the woods where they were waiting for me. I waved my hand and said to them, "Follow me, everyone."

"Where are we going now?" Mr Cruise asked me.

"Please don't ask anything. Just do what I am saying." I said.

"But Mrs Milton, are you sure about it?" Dr Branson asked.

"Trust me," I said and started walking.

They started following me. They were all silent throughout the way. After walking a distance of about 2 miles we reached our destination. Now, we were standing in front of a mansion. A very old mansion. It was the place where she lived. Yes, Cassandra lived there. We were standing in front of her house.

"No way! She can not be here." Mr Johnson said.

"Of course. If she had to hide here, she would not challenge us to find herself." Said Dr Branson.

"She is here, believe me," I said.

"Then why did we go to the woods to find her? Why did she run from that cave? Why she killed that boy?" Mr Johnson was getting anxious.

"So that she can do what she wants to do. That cave, that boy, everything was just a distraction. That was just a distraction and we fell in her trap." I said.

Everyone was silent for a moment. We were only a few inches away from our goal but still, we were not moving ahead. Mr Cruise broke the silence and asked "What is the plan?"

------------------Back to present-------------------

(Janet's POV)

"What? This is....no...it can not end like this. It can not." A bunch of pages were torn and the rest were blank. I turned the pages and in between the folds, I found a note.

I killed her but I could not defeat her. She won even after dying. It was my fault. I am responsible for it.

-Katherine Milton

I could not understand the meaning of this note.

Is it any kind of message? How can she come back if she is dead? Reincarnation!
Katherine Milton! She is a witch. Am I continuing the....? But how? Mom and dad are human, right?! How the hell I am a witch then? What on the earth is happening? I spoke in my mind and closed the journal. I closed my eyes and tried to calm myself.

"No, it can not be like this," I said and move out of my room.

Mom and dad were sitting together and watching a movie. They were happy. I didn't want to spill any poison on their happiness, but I hadn't any choice.

I moved towards them and said "mom... dad we need to talk."

"What is it?" Dad asked.

"Can you just skip it right now, please?" I said pointing to the T.V.

"What happened? Why are you behaving weirdly?" Mom asked.

"Because I am a witch!" I said grinning my teeth.

"What?" Dad said. Both of them stood up hastily. I could see the guilt on their faces. It felt like I had revealed something that they never wanted me to know.

"This is not funny Janet." Mom said.

"I am not joking either. I am a witch. I am. Even Jeremy knows, then why the hell I am not supposed to know?" I yelled.

"Jeremy is long gone, Janet. When the hell did he tell you?" Dad asked me.

"That's not the answer to my question dad," I said.

"Jany, honey calm down. We will...we will talk about it later..." Mom said, getting scared and dad interrupted her, "No Amanda. We should tell her now. She deserves to know the truth."

"It's true. You are a witch and we have never told you." Dad sighed and continued, "If you want to know everything, I will tell you, but it will hurt you even more."

"I am ready," I said.

"Janet....you are adopted," Dad said.

"What? I am....."

"Yes, you are adopted," Mom repeated.