Chapter 16: Delimma

"Alice you are li... linked?"

"That's why I said you are a newbie." Cassandra said.

I moved towards her and raised my hand to punch her but I stopped and punched the wall behind her. It was so hard that my knuckles started bleeding.

"How dare you? Why did you do this to her?" Why?" I growled at her.

She slowly leaned towards me and whispered in my ear, "I told you, I will win." Hearing what she said my whole body froze in fear. Fear of losing this fight. A fight between me and a devil. If I lose this she will turn the whole world into hell.

She moved a few steps away and said, "I will unlink her only if you do what I want you to do."

"Perhaps you know what I want. Don't worry Janet, you don't need to be in a hurry. You have twenty-four hours to decide." She said sarcastically.

"Go home with your furry friend and think about whether you want to lose the people you love or let them lose you." She said giving a diabolic smirk.

She grabbed the knife kept beside the fruit basket and pointed at her wrist and said, "If you can't decide then I would just cut my vein and still live because the healing powers of witches are much higher than that of humans. But alas! your poor friend is a human."

I grabbed Alice's hand and we stormed out of there, while she kept shouting and laughing, "keep in mind the deadline."
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Hi, mom! I am fine. I was just at my friend's house. Don't worry mom. I will be staying at Jany's home tonight. Ok bye. Take care." Alice informed her mother over the phone but she had to lie that she is fine. It was my idea to let her stay in my house because I didn't want to take any risk. Her parents already lost their son and now their daughter?! No. Never.

"Hey, are you ok?" I asked.

"Should I be?" She said getting worried.

"So tell me, Janet," She said sternly.

"Huh? Ali, I think you should get some rest." I said timidly.

"Seriously Janet? On the way, you told me that you will tell me everything when we reach home." She yelled.

"Don't you trust me?" She said, tears started to form in her eyes.

I sat beside her and started rubbing her back gently, "Shhhh..... It's ok. Why wouldn't I trust you? You are my best friend. Please don't cry dear. I will tell you everything."

I sighed and said, "Alice I.... I am a witch."

"You are what?" Her eyes widened in shock. I bowed my head to avoid her gaze as I told her everything. About me, about Jeremy, about my real family and the real player of this bloody game, Cassandra.

She remained silent for a few minutes because she could not believe my words.

"She killed my brother!...Prof. Morgan too.... Janet, y... you are a witch? I... I..wha.. what's going on? What on the earth is happening?" She held her head and screamed.

"Alice please, calm down... please Ali," I said.

"So, you are n.. not hu... human? She asked.

"No, I am not. I know you will hate me Ali.... but I..." Tears were streaming down my eyes and my voice cracked. I felt like I am losing my breath.

She hugged me and said softly, "hey! why are you saying that? You are my best friend and always will be, no matter who you are or what you are. I will never judge you or hate you for being a witch."

She smiled weakly and said, "Not all witches are bad. Not all humans are good. Whether we are good or bad depends on what we choose. Right?"

I nodded. She wiped my tears with her fingers and said, "Janet, you are not alone. I will help you. I will do anything and everything for you. I will do anything to torment that devil who brutally killed my brother, who ruined our happiness, who ruined everything. I won't spare her, I promise."

"Thank you, Ali. Thank you so much for supporting me in every difficult time. And don't worry I will figure something out to save you, I promise." I said.

We ate dinner and then I escorted her to our guest room. After she slept I came back to my room and sat on the bed.

The clock was ticking and the time was passing. Only twenty-four hours. Three hours have passed and now I have only twenty-one hours left.