Chapter 11: Real Family

Tears started to form in my eyes, falling down my cheeks. I felt like someone had ripped my heart out of my chest.

"I am not your daughter?" I asked.

"You are not our biological daughter, but still you are our daughter. Since the day you were born you are with us. From the day you learned to speak, the first word that came out of your little lips was 'mum' and I and your dad were so happy." Mom said.

"Jany you are our daughter and we love you," Dad said.

"There is no question regarding your love and care, mom and dad. I know how much you both love me and I love you too, but I want to know who are my real parents." I said.

Dad sighed and said, "Danielle... Your mother, she gave birth to you."

"Danielle?" I had never heard this name before.

"My sister. She was my sister." He said.

"You have a sister? You have never told me about her. You always told me that grandma has only two children, you and uncle." I said.

"Yes, that's true. I never told to anyone about her, except Amanda. Danielle Milton was my sister. She was your biological mother and a witch." Dad said.

"S..she...'WAS'....?" I asked him timidly.

"She is dead. She died when you were born. She told me to save you when she was dying. 'Save my daughter', her final words before dying. She wanted to protect you from the curse and we all want the same." He said.

"My mom is dead!" I could no longer control my tears and it burst out of my eyes after hearing that the person who gave birth to me was no longer in this world.

"What's the curse?" I asked wiping tears.

"Jany, I am so sorry dear. I don't know anything more than this. She never told us. All I know is that you are a witch and if your real identity is hidden forever, you will be safe." Dad said in a gloomy tone.

"And what about my father? Is he alive?" I asked timidly.

"Yes, he is. Perhaps he knows everything but he always denied saying anything and we never forced him as his mental condition wasn't ok after losing his beloved wife. When he handed you over to us, he told us that from now on you are our responsibility and everyone needs to know is that his baby had died with his wife. He considered himself the world's worst father for doing this to you." Dad said.

"W..who is m..my dad?" I asked. My voice was getting choked. I didn't have the strength to bear any kind of shock anymore.

"Shane Campbell. His name is Shane Campbell." Dad said.

"Shane Campbell!" I found this name quite familiar, then I remembered that he is our new history professor.

Oh my god! It means I have already met my father. I have to meet him personally and talk to him.
--------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning I woke up, had my breakfast and gets ready for college. I was distraught to meet my father, my own father. But I was also getting worried that what if something more heart-wrenching thing would happen. Just thinking all over the road how to meet him, what to say, what to do. I was getting anxious. I was wondering if he knows that I am his daughter or am I just an ordinary student like others?

I reached college and rushed to my class. As usual Prof. Campbell stepped in, my dad...yes my dad came to class. He continued to deliver his lecture, but I swear that I couldn't pay any attention to his single words. I was only waiting for the class to get over so that I can talk to him.

After the class was over I followed him. He went into his chamber and shut the door. My heart was hammering, I took a deep breath and knocked the door.

"Come in", he said.

I stepped in and said, "good afternoon sir, can I take your five minutes?"

As soon as I enter the room he got up from the chair and started staring at me.

"Sorry, I am very busy right now. You come some other day." He said avoiding any eye contact with me.

"But sir, it's very important. We need to talk." I said.

"I said I am busy now." He said, without looking at me.

"Why dad?" I asked.

"Excuse me?" He said. He was shocked to hear the word 'dad' from my mouth.

He hastily took the files and rushed towards the door to leave the room but I didn't let him do that. I raised my right palm and the door got locked with a slam. I did it. I closed the door with my magic.

"I am not gonna hurt you...Dad." I said.

That was the first time I used my supernatural powers consciously.