Chapter Twenty-one

Nathan

I rushed through the hallways of the hospital to room 165. Gran was there, her head on Grandad's shoulder. She had stopped crying but her eyes were red and swollen, filled with sadness. We weren't allowed into the room yet because the doctor was still examining him so we waited impatiently outside the door.

“How did this happen?” I dared to ask.

Gran let out a deep breath. “W-we, h-he” she gulped, wiping the tears that welled in her eyes. “He wanted to get some d-donuts from the s-shop across the street, I couldn't say no. He was so excited, before I could even put my coat on, he had run out. It all happened so fast, I couldn't even register what happened.” She sniffed. “When I came out, he ran to the road, wanting to cross, then a motorcycle came and...”

She couldn't even finish her sentence before she burst into tears again. I was in shock, hearing what she said. Unsteady on my feet, I dropped onto the chair next to her, my face buried in my hands.

I couldn't say anything. My son was hit by a motorcycle, maybe badly hurt. I hoped not. Oliver was my son, my life. When I was stressed or angry, he'd be there to cheer me up. Sure the circumstances that led to his birth were not ideal but I couldn't live without him.

I felt like crying but I had to be strong for Gran. I knew she felt like it was he fault but it wasn't. Oliver was reckless at times and often oblivious to possible dangers around him. He should have known better than to run into the road like that.

“The person on the motorcycle, what about them?” I remember to ask.

Gran shook her disappointedly. “He didn't even stop. When he realised what he did, he even went faster. I didn't bother, I just had to get Oliver to a hospital.”

He arsehole decided to do the most dishonorable thing ever and leave knowing that he had hurt a little kid. My hands clenched into fist as I stood up and walked to a window. I was so angry. I wanted to punch something, someone, the person who did this. How could someone be so cowardly?

I felt a hand land softly on my shoulder and looked back to see that it was Alyssa's. “It's going to be okay, Nathan.” She whispered assuringly. I nearly forgot she was here.

I dropped my head, not saying anything. I never believed when anyone said that. It was like a trigger for everything to go wrong. I hated that statement.

The doctor came out of the room soon after and I rushed to him, eager to hear that nothing was wrong and that we were just worried for nothing. That wasn't the case, of course.

“Oliver was hit pretty hard. He had some internal bleeding and his arm is broken. He has some bruises on and around his chest area but all in all he should be okay in four to six weeks.” He explained cautiously.

“Can we see him?” I asked hopefully.

“Are you direct family?”

“Yes, I'm his father.” I informed him.

He opened the door and ushered me in. I walked slowly. I was afraid of what I'd see. Although the doctor said he wasn't so bad, I didn't want to see him like that. Finally mustering up the courage, I raised my head to look at him.

He looked so small on the hospital bed, heart monitor next to him reading his heartbeat. He had a cast on his left forearm and a few scratches on his face but that was it. He was fine, well, as fine as a person who had gotten hit by a motorcycle would be but fine. His breathing was steady and so was his heartbeat. Maybe he would be okay after all.

The doctor came in, telling me that only one person could stay with him overnight.

“I'll stay.” Alyssa offered.