Mate

Diana

The door was on its final legs; the hinges were almost completely off and the metal was bending enough for me to see through a very large crack on the other side. There was too much dust from the broken dry wall to see, but I knew it was only a matter of time until the intruders would break through.

As I witnessed the slow motion spectacle, I felt tear drops pooling below me. I was still in Holden's oversize shirt and shorts, not the best outfit to die in, but at least it was comfy?

I tried to calm my shallow breathing, but my trembling body made it nearly impossible to concentrate. I ran different scenarios in my head, but they all ended up in me being caught. I glanced over at the bay window and thought about jumping, but that idea was pointless because whatever was on the other side of the door was going to outrun me.

I clasped my hand tighter around the small switch blade, even if it was too small to kill the beast, for some reason I didn't want to loosen my grip. Silver was my best option to kill a wolf because my size wasn't big enough to take on a warrior, let alone, a huge beast.

BAM, BAM!

The loud crashing against the door rung through my ears and sent my heart racing.

"Come on you bastard, show me what you got." I gritted through my teeth as I watched the door slowly wither away.

For the first time in my life, I was going to fight dirty. I was going to fight with this little silver blade that my father gave to me, and I was going to die with it in my hand.

BAM, BAM, BAM!

Suddenly, a large metal hinge flung directly across the room nearly capping me in the face. Thankfully, I flinched away fast enough to avoid the incoming projectile.

"That was close." I sighed with relief as I looked at the metal hinge lying on the floor next to me, but just as I turned my head, I saw another huge piece of metal flying in the air.

It was the door, and it was on a direct path to hitting me. The only maneuver I could think of was dropping to the floor. As I collapsed, I shielded myself with my arms, hoping to avoid further contact with any flying shrapnel.

The metal door crashed loudly into the wall behind me as I remained on the floor. The impact was ear deafening, like a constant piercing ring that I couldn't shake. I covered my ears like earmuffs, but it didn't relieve the sharp pain pulsating in my head.

"Anyone home!?" A booming voice came from the other side of the room, and I knew I had to get myself back up.

Thankfully, the ashes from the explosion devoured the bedroom, creating zero visibility. I coughed profusely, choking on the dusty remnants left behind from the large crash.

I gathered myself, assessing my limbs for injuries, and much to my luck I was fine, minus the pulsating headache. That's when I suddenly realized what I was missing.

"Shit!" I whispered to myself. The blade was no longer in my hand.

Heavy foots steps entered the room and I immediately went into full panic mode. My trembling hands swiftly patted the floor trying to feel for the small handle. I knew the clock was ticking, and it was only a matter of time until the dust settled.

"Yes!" My eyes widened in shock as I finally felt the handle of the blade. I gripped it tightly as I got to my feet.

An exceptionally large, shadowed figure grew closer to me as the cloud of dust started to settle. It was a black figure, and I was unable to make out who or what it was.

My heart was racing in anticipation; should I make the first move?

"Who-ever you are, leave now before more warriors come. There will be no mercy!!" I held the dagger in the air not knowing where to aim it. Did I look as pathetic as I felt right now?

The figure was massive, maybe even bigger then Holden; I felt like a rodent standing next to a bear. He wore something that resembled a militant human soldier, but I knew he wasn't human.

Several guns hung from his body, along with his large rifle that was tucked away on his back; he obviously didn't see me as a threat.

The man chuckled, "What warriors? The dead ones?" He looked backed through the doorway and it took me a few moments to realize what he was referring to.

"What?" My eyes widened in shock as I glanced over.

The scene was horrendous. All of them; DEAD, slaughtered like pigs. I saw Adrian, with a bullet hole right in the middle of his forehead. His eyes were open, like they were peering back at me.

I cringed in horror as I held my hand over my mouth trying to muffle my gasps. Was I going to meet the same fate?

My eyes angrily refocused on the large man in front of me. He had to die one way or another.

"OK ASSHOLE, HAVE IT YOUR WAY." In my frustration I pounced at him, swinging my arm into his chest hoping to make the strike fatal.

I thought I could use my speed to my advantage, but I failed miserably as he quickly grabbed my wrist and held it stationary mid-strike.

"Let go of me!" A vortex of anger swirled inside me as I pulled myself back, but his grip wasn't budging.

His face was completely covered by some sort of black mask, but I could still see him smirking at my pathetic attempt to kill him.

"You're a feisty little one." Suddenly, he pulled me in with so much force that my whole body went flying into him. He grabbed my other arm and twisted me outwards, so my back was up against his body. He towered over me, and my head only reached to the lower half of his chest.

"LET ME GO OR DIE!" I screamed out.

He was covered in combat gear, but I could feel how bulky he was as I pressed against his body.

"I'LL KILL YOU!" I had to keep to my word; I had to die as a fighter. I will not cower away now!

His breathing was calm, like my threats meant nothing. He slowly knelt down, lowering his face towards the inward of my neck. I could hear his nostrils flail as his warm breath hit my skin.

"What are you little one?" He said with deep groan.

I struggled in a panic, swerving my body in any direction to wiggle free, but I was stuck. Moving even an inch was an impossibility.

"You smell...." He took in another deep breath as his lips slightly graze my neck. "PERFECT."

I could feel a strong erection growing through his pants as he held me against his body. I continued my struggle to break free, but he only held me tighter.

Can't I just die and meet my family in the afterlife? Why couldn't he just shoot me and be done with it?

"Just kill me already you bastard!" I screamed out again.

The man didn't respond, but instead, his grasp tightened around me. I was like a twig entangled in massive branches, unable to break free.

"Why would I allow such a delicious meal go to waste? You are something I've never tasted... And my wolf wants you more then you know..." He growled.

My eyes widened in realization.

It was the realization that he wasn't going to kill me, but something much worse.

"Fuck you." I snapped back.

In the midst of my struggle, he slowly leaned his mouth toward my ear and whispered something that struck me like a bolt of lightning.

"Mate."