14 ; an unforgettable final

"Your crush on Cho Chang, of course

"Your crush on Cho Chang, of course."

Harry and Ron stared in disbelief, surely they couldn't do such a thing. However, both couldn't have been more wrong.

"He sent us this," Hermione said, holding out the letter.

Before Harry could take it, two rapid footsteps echoed throughout the corridor. The quartet turned and saw Atlas and Ben, both wearing grim expressions.

Harry was just about to ask why when he remembered Professor Lupin had given them a talking to; nothing positive could have come from that as the image of Lupin's stern face came into view.

"Sorry guys," Ben panted, as he leaned against the corridor wall to rest. "Dad was sort of upset, but he understood where 一''

He stopped upon seeing the dejected look on the rest of their faces. "Wait, what happened?"

Hermione gave the letter to Ben, "Hagrid sent us this. Buckbeaks lost the appeal."

Ben held it out for Ron, Harry, and Atlas to see as well. The parchment was damp, and enormous teardrops had smudged the ink so badly in places that it was very difficult to read.

Dear Girls,

We lost. I'm allowed to bring him back to Hogwarts. Execution date to be fixed. Beaky has enjoyed London.

I won't forget all the help you gave us.

Hagrid

"They can't do this," Harry muttered, shocked. "They can't. Buckbeak isn't dangerous."

"Malfoy's dad's frightened the Committee into it," Hermione sniffled, wiping her eyes. "You know what he's like. They're a bunch of doddery old fools, and they were scared."

"Screw Malfoy's dad," fumed Atlas. "I agree with Harry, they can't do this!"

Liliana sighed, "It's no use, it's like 'Mione said, 'you know what he's like'. Besides there'll be an appeal, there always is. Only I can't see any hope..." There were tears welling up in her eyes. "Nothing will have changed," she added, as a lone tear finally slid down her cheek.

"Yeah, it will," Ron protested fiercely. "You won't have to do all the work alone this time, girls. I'll help."

"Me too!" added Ben.

"Oh, guys!"

Hermione flung her arms around Ron's neck 一 Ben moved out of the way swiftly 一 and broke down completely. Ron, looking quite terrified, patted her very awkwardly on the top of the head. Finally, Hermione drew away.

"Ron, I'm really, really sorry about Scabbers..." she sobbed.

"Oh - well - he was old," said Ron, looking thoroughly relieved that she had let go of him. "And he was a bit useless. You never know, Mum and Dad might get me an owl now."