10 ; mad-eye moody

"What can I say, I was inspired

"What can I say, I was inspired."

The storm had blown itself out by the following morning, though the ceiling in the Great Hall was still gloomy; heavy clouds of pewter gray swirled overhead as Harry, Ron, Atlas, Liliana, and Hermione examined their new course schedules at breakfast. A few seats along, Fred, George, and Lee Jordan were discussing magical methods of aging themselves and bluffing their way into the Triwizard Tournament.

"Today's not bad . . . outside all morning," said Ron, who was running his finger down the Monday column of his schedule. "Herbology with the Hufflepuffs 一 We have that one with Ben 一 and Care of Magical Creatures . . . damn it, we're still with the Slytherins. . . ."

"Double Divination this afternoon," Harry groaned, looking down. Divination was his least favorite subject, apart from Potions.

Atlas, who'd had a piece of bread stuffed in his mouth, reached for Harry's timetable and said, "Yo'r' kid'ng!"

"Really, Atlas?" Liliana said, a bit disgusted at his manners.

Atlas swallowed quickly. "Oh, don't act like you've never spoken with your mouth full before," he retorted, slightly irked; Professor Trelawney's class always put him in a mood due to the fact she kept predicting his and Harry's death; it was extremely annoying.

Liliana rolled her eyes as Hermione said briskly, "You should have given it up like me, shouldn't you?" She grabbed a slice of toast and began slathering butter on it. "Then you'd be doing something sensible like Arithmancy."

"You're eating again, I notice," observed Ron, watching Hermione adding liberal amounts of jam to her toast too.

"Well, after Lils and I talked, we've decided there are better ways of making a stand about elf rights," said Hermione haughtily.

"Yeah . . . and you were hungry," acknowledged Ron, grinning as he looked between Hermione's toast and Liliana's sleepy form; she'd stayed up late apologizing to Hermione and proposing ideas, although Hermione'd been difficulty stubborn.

There was a sudden rustling noise above them, and a hundred owls came soaring through the open windows carrying the morning mail. Instinctively, Harry looked up, but there was no sign of white among the mass of brown and gray.

There was, however, a brumous tawny owl he knew as Loki, flying down to Liliana and Hermione as the other owls circled the tables, looking for the people to whom their letters and packages were addressed.

"Good morning, Loki," Liliana greeted as she took the letter tied around his leg.

The owl hooted as Hermione fed it a piece of her toast. As the girls began unfolding the parchment, a large tawny owl soared down to Neville Longbottom and deposited a parcel into his lap - Neville almost always forgot to pack something.

On the other side of the Hall, Draco Malfoy's eagle owl had landed on his shoulder, carrying what looked like his usual supply of sweets and cakes from home. And a barn owl dropped a letter in front of Benjamin Lupin's breakfast; it nearly fell into his goblet; he caught it just before it made contact.