20 ; an escape, resignation, and letters

"We'll see each other again

"We'll see each other again."

"Didn't you see what they looked like?" Hermione asked eagerly. "Was it two of the teachers?"

"No," said Harry. "They weren't teachers."

"But they must have been really powerful wizards, to drive all those Dementors away..." Liliana reasoned; her and Hermione looking between each other excitedly. "If their Patronus's were shining so brightly, didn't it light them up? Couldn't you see -?"

"Yeah, I saw them," said Harry slowly. "But... maybe I imagined it... I wasn't thinking straight... I passed out right afterward..." 

"Who did you think they were?" Atlas questioned.

"I think -" Harry swallowed, knowing how strange this was going to sound. "I think it was my dad."

Harry glanced up at Hermione, Atlas, and Liliana and saw that Hermione's mouth was fully open now. She was gazing at him with a mixture of alarm and pity; Liliana had a small frown on her lips looking at Harry sympathetically, and Atlas's grey eyes darkened; clearly pained.

"Harry, your dad's - well - dead," Hermione noted quietly.

"I know that," said Harry quickly. "But  -"

Atlas raised his brows, "But what?"

"I saw Sirius too, I think - I mean  -"

"How could you have seen dad? He was right beside us, Harry," Atlas said although he looked as though he wanted to believe what his friend had said.

"I know, it's just - he looked so similar to him and when I saw my dad he looked - I don't know... solid I suppose -"

Hermione's brows furrowed, "So definitely not a ghost then?"

"No... I don't know... but it's just - Sirius looked very much alive and I just thought - I don't know -"

"But how could - then wouldn't -" Liliana tried to say, yet she wasn't sure how she could.

"Maybe I was seeing things," said Harry quickly. "But... from what I could see... it looked like him...  the both of them.. I've got photos of him and Sirius together, it just looked so similar..."

The other three were still looking at him as though worried about his sanity.

"I know it sounds crazy," said Harry flatly. He turned to look at Buckbeak, who was digging his beak into the ground, apparently searching for worms. But he wasn't really watching Buckbeak.

He was thinking about his father and about his father's three oldest friends... Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs... Had all four of them been out on the grounds tonight? Wormtail had reappeared this evening when everyone had thought he was dead... Was it so impossible his father had done the same? Had he been seeing things across the take? The figure had been too far away to see distinctly... yet he had felt sure, for a moment, before he'd lost consciousness...