part 18: return to homeworld

I don't believe I'm doin' this...

You thought in a grump, angrily marching your way down the large, shiny, sickeningly colorful halls of the diamond's palace grumbling to yourself in irritation. Damned wily pink dame. You scowled at the ground, with low, barely audible grumbling emanating from behind your gritted teeth. Stirring my emotions up into a whole maelstrom of mixed feelings... making me have to come back to this shiny eye sore of a palace to try n sort em out...

Your scowl hardened, and a loud growl escaped your mouth. It was loud enough to where it bounced off the walls slightly, as well as frighten an unsuspecting gem. But surprisingly, yet thankfully, these halls were actually quite empty in most sectors, with only a few gems occasionally walking down them, most of which were in pairs or in groups.

Not to mention that stupid tour the purple pearl was still somehow giving.

Whenever you heard her voice, or sensed the crowd coming, you did everything you could to block out her words as she described the history of each room, each section, and each object they had passed.

It was a simple action. one that wouldn't be a bother to most, and might even be insightful for some.

But for you... it made you feel sick at the mere mention of one of the diamond's names.

Ack... how many gems don't know about this place? You sneered over your shoulder at the relatively large crowd following the purple pearl, as she spoke nonstop jabberish on the palace's history. You scoffed angrily. And with all the pain this damned planet has caused, why in the universe would anyone want to know more about it? It was at this thought, you finally stopped, stomping your foot and throwing your hands in the air with a frustrated yell. "WHAT GOOD HAS THIS DAMNED PLANET EVEN DONE!!?"

Your voice crashed through the halls like a thunderclap, the volume of your voice increasing substantially, thanks to the reverberations of the shiny stone walls, making a few near by gems yelp and turn to your direction, staring with wide, startled eyes. Once you realized what you did, you lowered your heads and looked down, your cheeks burning in embarrasment. At this rate, I'll end up corrupting on the spot. With a groan, you pulled your tufts over your face, walking over to a nearby wall and leaned against it, taking a few deep breaths to steady your nerves. I'll never get anywhere with all this scorn. you set a hand on your head, shutting your eyes to clear your head and think to yourself more on the matter.

...I don't really have to be here do I?

Can't I just sort these issues out to one of those "therapists" earth has?

do I really have to come back to this place and re-encounter-

"excuse me... are you (name)?"

You snap your head up at a soft voice sounding in front of you, making you yelp and jump back in startlement, your hand instinctively covering your eye. With your limited vision, you saw that it was blue diamond's former pearl. Oh thank the stars. You liked blue pearl. Of all the pearls you've encountered, she was quiet, humble and had a placid air about her, even in era 2. You didn't really hold anything against the pearl. She even had a backbone to admit to liking drawing back when such a thing was obsolete at the time...

...But at the moment, you didn't want to be spoken to.

...what does she want, though? Your eyes narrowed slightly in exasperation, looking her up and down in suspicion. From the way she wringing her hands and biting her lip slightly, she appeared to be uneasy about something.

And as much as you didn't want to stay here, you wanted to at least find out why she looked more sheepish than usual. Sliding your hand off your damaged eye, you crossed your arms with a raised brow. "yes... whatcha need?"

She stood for a moment, her mouth opening slightly into a small gasp, looking behind herself for a brief moment then back at you. "H-Have you come for spinel?" She asked a hopeful note in her voice, that made you twitch your lip subtly. Just hearing her name stirred you up inside. "If so... I-I know where she is..." You frowned, sliding your hands up to your biceps, gripping them tightly and stepped back a few steps. "Ahem... th-thank ya kindly for the offer there, miss blue pearl." You smiled uneasily, releasing your hold on yourself, and reaching up to itch the back of your head.

"But um... I... I changed my mind about this here operation..." your voice lowered as you turned off to the side, looking to the ground. "I... I thought I was... but... I really don't think I'm ready to see spinel just yet..." you sighed, feeling a weight fill your chest at hearing the words leaving your mouth. "S-so... I'm sorry to waste ya time..." you turned to and spared a side glance to the blue gem. "...Yer gonna have ta tell 'er ta wait. Just a little longer."

With that, you turn and start to make your way back down to the nearest warp- "WAH-?!"

You yelped, and snapped your head to the direction of blue pearl, shocked to see she had suddenly grabbed your wrist with a surprising amount of haste and force. Your eyes flickered between her rather small hand clutching your wrist, to her face. Thanks to that hair of hers, you couldn't read her expression, which honestly gave you a mild chill. "Uhm..." despite your efforts to keep it steady and assertive, your voice came out with a mildly shaky, startled undertone, as you practically felt her unseen eyes baring into your face. "Wh-what do ya think yer-?"

"Please forgive my rudeness."

Without even waiting for your response, she suddenly takes off in the direction she had looked with a surprising amount of speed and strength, eliciting a cartoony yelp from you as you were suddenly dragged down the halls.

I knew I should've stayed on earth!