17| Content

-:Ashton's POV:-

I rushed over to her and enveloped her in my arms, her scent surrounding me and calming my wandering mind. I was mindful of her injured hand.

I had been so fucking scared.

She was frozen, stiff, and hesitant. I didn't give a fuck. She didn't push me away. I had her in my arms, awake and alright. That was all that mattered. 

She is okay. 

"You're okay," I whispered over and over again, reassuring myself and nuzzling in the crook of her neck where her scent was the strongest. She hugged me back after what felt like an eternity.

"Xav?" She asked tentatively. I shook my head, sad that I had been so bad to her that even a little show of affection made her think it was my wolf. I was ashamed. My eyes teared up.

"Ashton," I told her, shame and regret slipping into my voice. I pulled her closer, needing to feel her close. Xavier calmed down and my heartbeat evened out.

She is safe.

A few tears slipped out. It was the first time I'd held her that close to myself and that feeling was so beautiful, I was already addicted to it. Her body molded perfectly into mine. The sparks ignited a feeling of warmth and homeliness. 

She was my home.

It made me wonder how I spent almost eighteen years of my existence without her and her touch. 

A throat cleared behind me and we jumped apart. I inconspicuously wiped away the wetness in my eyes.

"What?" Cecelia asked in a peevish tone. I turned around to see who it was and stiffened. In the little world I had created with Cecelia in my arms, I had forgotten Julian existed. 

It was a good world.

"I see you're well," he chaffed at her. "And here I was worried for nothing."

"Well, I am awesome," she said in a matter-of-fact tone with a dramatic flip of her hair.

"Good to see the wolfsbane didn't damage your humor and personality," he chuckled.

"As if," she smiled at him adorably. My heart clenched. Jealously burned through my body.

"I . . . will get going," I made to go before I did something stupid. Something I'd regret. "Excuse me," I added to be polite. I rushed out before I had to explain myself.

"Why weren't you here when I woke up?" Cecelia's complaining voice was the last thing I heard before they were out of my hearing range. 

Let me tell you, that did not help.

I started running when I exited the Packhouse.

The fight that I had built up inside of me deflated. I had said I'd fight for her and I would. But what if that would make her unhappy? She loved Julian. What if me fighting for her brought her pain and sadness? What if I ruined what she has with him for my selfish reasons?

That would be wrong, right? She would be devastated.

I couldn't do that. 

I loved her. I wouldn't hurt her like that. I refused to do that.

Xavier whined in my head and I wanted to whine with him.

'What does he have that we don't?' He wondered.

'Wish I knew, buddy,' I sighed.

'But we are their mate,' he said, referring to Cecelia and her wolf.