Chapter 39

Calli

I blink as I am blinded by the sun shining in through the window. I blink a few times to adjust my eyes and look around the room. Confusion sweeps over me for a minute, trying to figure out why I'm back at my old house, before reality sets in and the heavy feeling in my heart returns. I roll over and am greeted by soft, warm fur.

Titan.

I can't stop the small smile that creeps onto my face as he stirs and nuzzles into me. I pat his fur affectionately and kiss his muzzle. His body vibrates with an appreciative purr and he leans forward to lick my cheek. I giggle and he gives me a wolfy smile at the sound.

"Hey, sweet boy." I say quietly. I can't hide the sadness on my face and he whines in response.

I'll never forget his pained howl when I drove away from him. The sound cut through me and it felt like my soul was being ripped in two.

I lean forward and bump my forehead with his and snuggle back into his side. He curls his body around me and his tail flops back and forth in content. We sit like this for a long time, just enjoying being with one another. I try to avoid thinking about Finn. I know I will need to face him, I'm just not sure what to say. After awhile Titan whines and nudges my hand with his wet nose.

"Human wants to talk to me doesn't he?" I ask and Titan nods which causes me to sigh audibly.

He lets out a low growl, telling me he'll refuse to let Finn come forward if that's what I want. I chuckle a little and shake my head.

"It's ok. Let Finn out." I say and grab his face in my hands. I kiss the spot between his eyes.

"I love you, Titan." I say and he licks my cheek before his fur begins to ripple away, replaced with firm, tan skin and taut muscles.

"Hey, sweetheart." Finn says quietly while eyeing me cautiously. It's like he's scared I'm going to flee if he makes too sudden of a movement.

"Hey." I say averting my eyes. I find a particularly interesting spot on the floor and study it intently.

"Baby, please look at me. Talk to me. Yell at me. Or hit me. Whatever you want I can take it but, please. Just don't leave me."

The despair in his voice causes a sharp pain in my chest. I feel our bond bend even further. It's already so strained, I don't know how much more it can take before it breaks.

"I shouldn't have left like that. It was just a lot and I needed to decompress." I say quietly and Finn grips my chin gently, forcing my eyes to his.

"I understand. I do. But I need to know what's going on in that pretty little head of yours, sweetheart. I'm dying here." He says with a sad smile. I take a deep breath and try to stop the tears that threaten to form at the corner of my eyes. I reach out to cup his face in my hands.

He looks tired. So damn tired. His eyes are blood shot with dark circles, he hasn't shaved in days and he already looks a little thinner. It doesn't take wolves long lose weight with how much they need to eat.

"I'm so fucking mad at you, Finn." I say and exhale a shaky breath willing the tears to not fall.

He reaches up to hold my hand against his face and tips it so he can kiss my palm, his eyes downcast and a sad frown on his face.

"I know, Calli. And you have every right to be. Just tell me we can fix this. That you still love me." His voice catches at the end and I stroke his cheeks with my thumbs.

"Of course I love you, Finn. I will always love you. But I need to be able to trust you. To rely on you. I need a partner. That's what I thought being mates meant. That we were a little team of two and I would always have at least one person there to back me up."

He nods enthusiastically and scooches closer to me.

"You're right. That's exactly what mates are and if you give me the chance I will prove that's what you are to me. I swear sweetheart. I love you so much and I will do whatever you want to make it up to you." I give him a small smile and sit quietly for a moment to think.

He slips closer to me so his naked body is pressed against me before he leans his head down to my neck to breathe in my scent. I push him away gently and smile at him.

"This isn't something I can just forgive, Finn. It's not like you forgot to put gas in the car and I got stranded on the side of the road."

"That was one time, baby and you got to ride back to the pack on Titan so I don't think it was all bad." He interjects and I roll my eyes at him.

"My point is, this is a flaw in our relationship that we need to work on. Listening, honesty and trust. Being partners and equals. Do you think you can do that?" He nods emphatically and slips his arms around my waist pulling me into him.

"Yes, I promise. We're a team, Calli. And I don't want anyone on my team but you." He says as he plants a gentle kiss to my cheek.

"Good. But you still have some groveling to do. I'm not letting you off the hook that easily."

His responding smile is blinding and I feel our bond hum a little louder inside of me. Some of the cracks are beginning to heal. We have a long way to go still. Very long. But I have a feeling Finn is worth the effort.

"I would expect nothing less, m'lady." He purrs and goes to kiss me, but there's a small knock at the door.

"Come in!" I call and Penny peeks her head in.

"Hey, superstar. How's my favorite werewolf slayer doing this morning?" She asks cheekily and I roll my eyes.

"Much better. Thank you for being here last night. I'm sorry about that, you didn't have to spend the night." She waves off my concerns and starts to cross the room until she realizes Finn is naked.

"Oh God." She says before averting her eyes. I chuckle as Finn pulls the blanket tighter around him.

"He stayed in wolf form all night." I explain in between giggles.

"Is that what you guys call sexy time? Being in wolf form?" She asks and I burst out laughing.

"No. Titan literally slept in my bed." Penny rolls her eyes and crosses her arms.

"Sure whatever. But I need to feed Camden before he loses his shit. There's no food here what do you want to eat?" She asks and Finn sits up.

"I could go get breakfast burritos." He offers and I grip his arm to pull him back.

"Please don't leave. I feel... better with you here." I say quietly and both Finn and Penny nod.

"No problem. I'll take Cam with me and we'll get some burritos. Knowing him he'll probably want ice cream too. You guys want any?"

"It's like eight in the morning." I say and Penny shrugs.

"That boy could eat ice cream any time of the day. It's usually coffee flavor at breakfast time at least." I can't stop my giggle and shake my head.

"No ice cream thanks."

"OK. By the way, Luna has been asking to see you. Alpha says she's pretty worried about you." I sigh and lean back against Finn. He tightens his grip on me and kisses my temple. I'm not sure I'm ready to see her yet while everything is still so fresh.

"Finn will tell them that I'm alright, but I kinda just want to hang out here today. I'm not ready to be pack among the pack yet." She nods and turns to leave before looking back at Finn.

"Put some pants on, loverboy." He huffs and shakes his head before dipping it into my neck. He breathes deeply and the feel of his breath against my neck tickles and causes goosebumps along my skin.

I hear the front door close and Finn pulls me into his side, running his fingers gently over my arm. He places kiss after kiss across my head, cheeks and chin before planting a chaste kiss on my lips. The normal fire starts to build in me, but flashes of Paul hit me and I pull away.

"I'm sorry I'm just..." Finn cuts me off with another quick kiss and a firm squeeze around my waist.

"Don't worry about it. We'll get through this. Together."