twenty-three. redemption

"We did it!",Charlie squeals while hugging Vaggie tightly. The princess has tears rolling down her cheeks and Vaggie embraces the woman tightly. Alastor watches as the two women celebrate your redemption and they celebrate the fact that is it completely possible to rehabilitate a demon.

Meanwhile he's left alone on a stool, his heart shattered and a glass of liquor in his hand. After finishing explaining everything when he walked into the room and saw you disappear into a white glitter—he knew it happened. It was inevitable and it finally happened.

Now you're in Heaven. You got what you always wanted and Alastor had the only thing he's ever wanted taken away from him.

He's surprised that Vagatha, Charlie, and Husk aren't more furious at him for holding you back and not telling any of them. But with such a miracle he supposes he can see why they would choose to not focus on the negative of such a bright positive. But to Alastor he isn't sure this is a positive. He is so completely and utterly happy for you but...now he's never going to see you again.

You're gone for good and he's stuck in this place of eternal suffering without the light of his entire eternity and existence. He feels happiness for you but that happiness is overrun by bitterness and sorrow. Alastor knows Husker and Angel Dust feel the same by the way they've begun drinking and gambling away in the dining room.

Alastor looks to Charlie as she pulls away from Vaggie with tears rolling down her rosy and round cheeks. "She's redeemed...she got redemption!",she exclaims again as it begins to settle in her heart. Holding Vaggie's hands Charlie's smile grows sad and her brows pinch together. "She—She's in Heaven now...we—re never gonna see her...again...",Charlie's voice is brittle and it trails into a whisper at the end of her words.

"...Hon...don't let your sadness rise up. Y/N is redeemed! You did it! You proved that...",Vaggie trails off slowly when Charlie pulls her hands away and hugs herself while shaking her head. More tears roll down Charlie's rosy cheeks and she tries to keep her smile but it grows more difficult.

Charlie sniffles,"I—I'm supposed to be happy...why do I feel like this? I finally got the dream I have been working so hard for...I should be bouncing off the walls and just rubbing it in everyones faces..." Vaggie flinches at the way Charlie looks at Vaggie with a shake of her head. Vaggie's own heart tightens in her chest. "She...She brought us all together. Made this possible—sh-she got my parents to ac-actually call me first...So much—a-and n-now we're never gonna see..."

Vaggie sighs out shakily when Charlie wraps her arms around her and begins crying for an entirely new reason.

Selfishness is a nasty feeling that even the happiest and most selfless of beings feel once in a while. And Alastor squeezes his eyes shut, even if for just a moment he feels relief in his guilt for wishing you weren't redeemed. Because if someone like Charlotte was sobbing after getting her dream—all because she won't see you again—then maybe Alastor is valid in his feelings of selfishness.

He didn't even get to say goodbye. None of them did.

Sudden and quick—you're gone just like that.

——

You stir softly, a heaviness and discomfort on your back that you're not used to. The angelic wings are sprawled out and opened due to your body not being used to them. When you stretch your arms forward the wings tuck back into your skin and the heaviness is alleviated.

With a foggy mind, you slowly begin to regain consciousness. Rubbing your tired eyes and grabbing at your fuzzy head, slowly everything begins to fall into place and you slowly blink your vision clear.