二十

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

❛𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐎𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐬❜

THE SOUND OF THE TATAMI DOOR sliding against the floor alerted you as you turned around. You locked eyes with the master's wife, Ubuyashiki Amane.

Ubuyashiki Amane was a fair woman with pale skin. She has large lavender eyes and short eyebrows. Her hair was white as snow, tied back to a short ponytail. She wore a pink kimono with a black kimono jacket with blue butterfly patterns.

"Good morning, _____

"Good morning, _____. You are early today."

You bowed as you greeted the woman. "Good morning. Lord Ubuyashiki wished for me to visit him after I recover as soon as possible."

You were in front of Lord Ubuyashiki's estate early in the morning and hurried to the place as soon as you woke up to not waste more time. You were eager to know what Ubuyashiki wanted to discuss with you.

It's been a few days since your conversation with Kanao and you took that time to reflect on things that you had experienced for the past few months.

All the encounters you experienced with different people, as well as demons. They acted as keys to locked doors that blocked your true reality, a memory you yearned for. One unlocked a door, and it was seeping with blood as soon as you opened it.

You wished you got to remember a much happier, blissful memory, but fate was not on your side. It revealed a horror to you—your family laid dead on the wooden floor with blood splattered everywhere as though it was painted by a madman.

Maybe I was the madman...

There were no slashes caused by demons. They were all done meticulously. A planned kill.

And you hated it.

The fact that it was done purpose made you sick to the core

"I hope you are not forcing yourself." Amane's voice snapped you back to reality, and you noticed that her usual small smile turned into a frown. Was it the guilt that made itself present on your face that made her notice?