二十五

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

❛𝐌𝐨𝐨𝐧 𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐝❜

SILENCE WAS THE ONLY TUNE THAT SUNG between the two. The man looked at you incredulously. He did not expect you to ask such a question.

"Who are they?" You repeated your question with more rigour. "I saw you, but it didn't feel like you. It felt vicious. Dark. It felt as though I was about to get killed." As you spoke, the man looked more and more unsettled. His once calm, cold eyes were now filled with concern and uncertainty.

"How..." He breathed, "How do you know those names?"

"I feel as though I always knew these names as if they were kept away in my mind."

The man looked more troubled. His face scrunched and his breathing slowed. He opened his mouth and closed it again, not sure what to say or even how to say what he was thinking. "Step back."

Your body moved on its own, taking several steps back before you could process what he said. You tried to fight back against the involuntary movements of your body, but even with so much defiance, his words reigned control over your consciousness.

"Why?" You questioned, your words becoming louder, "Why can't you answer me, who are they?"

He turned his back towards you and dared not to look back at your struggling figure. He looked... askance, the words itching at his tongue to spill out the truth. But he swallowed down the reality and looked back at you.

"I'm sorry, young child. I can't tell you anything, it is for you to know on your own–"

"Stop that!" You interrupted him, "Why should I wait?! Why should I find the truth on my own? That path I will go through will provide me more pain than relief, so why should I do as you say? Why must I pay a price for salvation?!"

As you spoke, your voice trembled with frustration and desperation. The mysterious figure seemed taken aback by your outburst but remained stoic.

"Sometimes, the truth is not easily given, for it holds great power and responsibility," he said calmly. "The journey to discover it is not meant to inflict pain but to test your strength and resilience. Only by facing hardships and overcoming challenges can you truly understand your purpose."

You clenched your fists, feeling torn between your anger and a sense of curiosity. "I don't understand why I have to bear this burden," you replied, your voice softer now, "But if I must find the truth on my own, then tell me this—why do they want me?"