SIXTEEN | The Day We Parted

"dil ka sauda hua chandni raat mein."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

STARTLING sound of her room's door flying open jolted her awake from the deep slumber she had slipped into after Fajr prayers.

"Bajjo!" exclaimed Omer as he bolted inside, his features agog with astonishment―pretty much resembling a deer caught in headlights.

Iman's frame rose on the bed―her heavy eyelids sweeping with concern―as she yanked the blanket off her body and enquired in a hoarse voice thick with worry; "What's wrong?"

The younger sibling hiked towards her perched frame and grabbed her hand. "You have to come with me."

Iman's brows formed a knot of dread as she heard her brother's eager request and took in the shadows of befuddlement on his face.

"But why? What happene-"

"Just come with me!" Omer prodded, gently tugging her hand and propelling her to get up.

Leaving her bed, she got up on her toes and scurried out of the room with Omer leading the way. The sibling duo emerged in the open hallway of the first floor connected with the circular double staircase and halted by the golden steel railing at the edge.

Iman's curious gaze roamed around the men present downstairs but when her eyes descended on a particular man among them, her gaze couldn't move beyond.

Her heart leapt in her throat when she saw Zain standing with the uniformed officers, his demeanour all erect and fatal and dominant. There was a distinguished air to his countenance that she had never felt when he was with her.

"Ya Allah!" A surprised gasp rolled out of her lips and her hand flew to her chest in incredulity―feeling the meteoric rise of her heartbeat as her eyes drank in the sight. "Zain... what... what is he doing here with the police?"

"They're here to arrest Haider," enlightened Omer, making her abruptly snap her head to his side with her jaw hanging low.

"What?! Why...?"

"For assaulting a police officer," Omer told her in a hard voice.

Her eyes spanned, accompanying her loosened jaw but it was the subsequent words that came out of her brother's mouth that made her breathing stall.

"It's him," Omer said, without taking his eyes off his sister and pointing his finger down at a certain man who was currently the centre of attention. "He just introduced himself as Inspector Zain Awan from SIU."

Omer's statement ringed through her ears and turned into an avalanche of shock that wreaked havoc in the hazy land of her mind.

Slowly, her head turned and she let her mystified gaze ski down, landing on the murky disposition of the man who was engaged in a conversation with Haider.

Her brain struggled to register the newfound information.

"No way..." she trailed, gobsmacked.
How was that possible? Why did he never tell her that? She couldn't believe it! Zain was a... he was a....

The thoughts that echoed in the walls of her head were shared sentiments that rumbled the mind of the man who was circled by the lawmen downstairs.

With an acerbic arch of his thick brow and an equally cutting gaze, Haider hissed out: "So, you're a cop."

Zain whimsically pursed his lips and loosely shrugged.

"You ambushed me with your men that day, " Zain stated; his lips slowly curving into a devious smirk. "I thought I should also bring my troop and return the favour."