23.

A knock on the door is what had Citlali out of the comfort of her bed that night

A knock on the door is what had Citlali out of the comfort of her bed that night. She hadn't been expecting anyone but she figured it was her brother who had lost his copy of the house key. Again. So she threw the comforter off of her body and hurried to the front door.

"We have to go." Paul had told the girl the moment she had swung the door open.

"I'm not going anywhere with you." She quickly frowned and attempted to shut the door, but Paul had quickly sopped her from closing it.

"I didn't ask." He rudely replied. Once he realized what he had done he took a big breath attempting to clam down. It was her stubbornness that had recently began to annoy the hell out of him, and now wasn't a good time for it. "You can hate me all you want, Citlali, but you're not staying here. It won't be safe. All the imprints are staying with Emily. So pack a bag and let's go."

In saying so, Paul reached for her car keys hanging on the hook and took off to wait in her car.

He was already at the bottom of the porch steps when she finally spoke. "I don't hate you. I'm just upset." Turning around to look at her, the male did an amazing job at hiding his surprise and happiness. For the first time, she was looking right at him, she wasn't hiding her face, looking down or attempting to distract herself like she had been the past couple of days. "Just give me few minutes." She headed back inside where she threw on a sweater and some sneakers.

Pack a bag. How much was too much? He hadn't said for how long. Citlali panicked and quickly attempted to pack at least two outfits and some shorts to sleep in. Surely she'd be able to use Emily's washer if that wasn't enough. Grabbing her bag and heading out the house she quickly remembered about the red head and how the guys had been training with the Cullen's, but that felt like so long ago. In all honesty she never did remember about it. So now it all made sense and she was glad she wouldn't be alone. But she would be lying if she said it didn't scare her. Although she had hid it, that day with Kim and the red head, it had frightened her more than she admitted simply because of what the red head is, and what she could do. Somehow, she had found a way to push it to the back of her mind, her guess as to why it had been so easy was because she had Paul as a distraction and well, protection.

As soon as Paul began driving to, he quickly realized the dead air between them was suffocating him, and he refused to let it, but it was more than that. Looking over at the girl, who sat criss crossed on the seat, he saw that something was bothering her, she was fidgeting with her hands, thinking hard.

"You okay?" He attempted to break the silence and maybe, perhaps fix their issues.

"I'm fine."

"Citlali." He gave her a look that made her breath out heavily.

"Just thinking."

"About?"

"Honestly, everything. Including us." She added nervously trying to see his reaction form the corner of her eye and she got one. He had stiffened in place, never taking his eyes off the road.

"Cit, I know I've said it a lot of times but I am sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. I was just trying to get you away from me because I didn't want to hurt you, i was scared that it would be Emily all over again, but in the end, I still did hurt you."

"It's okay."

"But it's not. Embry knew what he was doing. He was trying to rile me up, he wanted me to break and lose control in front of you and it worked. He purposely thinks all these thing and I just want to-He's playing a game that I don't want to play. I don't. All I want it to be happy...with you."

To herself Citlali, smiled.  All I want it to be happy with you. His words replayed over and over again, she wanted the same the same thing. Hell, she is in love with him, she just didn't want to admit because she didn't know if it was too soon. With Embry it was different, she had loved him before she had actually fallen in love with him. They were best friends, so of course it had been so easy to transition that love for him. With Paul, things were different in a way she couldn't explain. It was definitely much stronger, that's for sure and she sure as hell can't imagine never not knowing him.

"Me too, Paul." She finally whispered making him smile.

By the time Paul pulled it to Emily's driveway, Citlali finally had the courage to speak again.

"Paul?"

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry too." She put her head down disappointed in herself. "I'm sorry I so easily pushed you away, and didn't give you a chance to explain yourself and apologize. I was being a bitch."

"No." Paul shook his head. "You we're protecting your heart, and that's okay. Come on." He signaled for them to climb out.

Slowly doing so, Citlali realized he already had her bag and was waiting for her. So she quietly and nervously walked up to the porch. "Pretty much everyone is already asleep, I'm sorry it so late, we planned to wait until morning, but we didn't want to take any chances."

"It's okay, it's not like I was asleep."

"You weren't?"

"I was being sarcastic."

"Right." Paul chuckled. "Again, I'm sorry."

Being led into the home, Citlali realized almost everyone was here. Evan her brother who was on the floor with his arms wrapped around his arm. Leah was on the love seat while everyone else was on the floor as well. It was a mess honestly. There were blankets everywhere, and the ones layered on the ground really didn't help.

"Emily had the guys leave you a spot on the floor, or you could share the couch with Kim. Which by the way, she's gotten more annoying without you here."

"How dare you, Lahote." The door to the bathroom swung open.

"I'm sorry, I didn't see you there."

"I'm sorry, I didn't see you there." She badly mimicked him before she leaped forward, shoving Paul out of the way just so she could wrap her arms around Citlali. "I missed you so much, please don't ever leave me again."

"I promise.' Citlali agreed, because if she were being honest, she missed hanging out with her. Of course, she also missed Leah, but she was always patrolling, and would sometime come visit her for an hour or less. "Anyway, go ahead and take the couch,"

"Do you mind?"

"Not at all. Although the couch is suppose to be more comfortable, I think with the both of us on it, it would be worse."

"Yeah, I agree." Kim nodded. "Anyway, I'm pretty tired, goodnight."

"Night." Both Paul and Citlali replied in sync.

After sending Paul a small smile, Citlali quickly moved, and kicked off her shoes by the front door before she headed to the empty spot on the floor. Silently ignoring the burning stares, she shook the blanket open, and it was then that she realized it was a big space and there was no where else for Paul. She would be stuck between him and her brother. Not awkward at all, she rolled her eyes to herself.

It wasn't until her head touched the throw pillow that she felt Paul finally slide into the empty spot next to her. They were both starring up at the ceiling fan and to say it was awkward for her would be an understatement.