Ten - Feliciano

I can't remember how many times I've read her text. But the same song and dance happens every time. The second I tap on the message app and Giselle's words appear, that night comes rushing back. Music plays. I taste her lips and the room melts away. Then, reality restarts. I look down to see my thumbs typing out a reply. It always starts with an apology that gets backspaced to death.

What am I sorry for? Well, one thing's for sure, I shouldn't have let her go home by herself. That was definitely me dropping the ball. But the kiss...the kiss feels wrong and right. It was like flying and falling at the same time. And it comes back to me every time I let my guard down. So, maybe I'm sorry that I can't forget it. Because if I could, everything would be back to normal.

Shaking my head, I sigh, erase the reply and slide the phone back in my pocket. I slide a lime wedge along the rim of the glass before dipping it in some sea salt. From there, tequila, agave syrup, lime juice and a few ice cubes get thrown into the cocktail shaker. After shaking it until all the ingredients have gotten to know each other, I pour into the margarita glass, add a lemon wedge to the edge and carefully set it down with a napkin.

The blonde comes up to the counter and scoops it up. "Thanks," she smiles.

"No problem." I turn around and get started on the next one.

As I'm grabbing some more ice, I notice the napkin still chilling where I had left it. Closer inspection reveals a number written in blue ink. The giggling from the table where the blonde is sitting clears everything up. Playing things cool, I pick the napkin up and walk towards the back. Once I'm out of view, I rip it to shreds and throw the pieces into the trash.

"Everything okay, guapo?" Evita says while I'm salting another glass.

I nod, keeping my head down. "Yeah. I'm good."

"Respira. You smell that?"

I inhale, wrinkling my forehead. "Smell what?"

"The bullshit coming out of your mouth."

"Wow." I step back. "You need to throw up a signal flare, turn on your blinker or something before you come at me like that. Damn, piba."

"Don't 'damn, piba' me." She puts her hands on her hips. "You've been acting bien raro tonight."

"Dime." I tilt my chin up. "How have I been acting weird?"

"What was on that napkin?"

"I don't know what you're talking about, but you sound like you need a Snickers."

"It's not that time of the month. And don't play dumb with me. I saw them look over here when you picked it up."

"You're trying to act like nobody forgets a napkin on the counter."

Evita grins. "Felicidades, Feliciano. You just played yourself."

I shrug. "The blonde piba wrote her number on it. So what?"

"What did she say after you texted her?"

"I didn't text her."

"Do it now."

"For what?"

"I'm just curious. You normally tell me what the funny ones say, and she looks like one of the funny ones."

"Okay. I'll tell you what she said tomorrow."

"You promise?"

"Yeah."

"Cross your heart?"

"Uh-huh." Anything that'll get you off my case.

"Pinky swear?"