Chapter 2

Light was light when Charlie landed at the Liberal City Airport. It was about an eighty mile drive to Stratford and Charlie was already dreading the ride back. Charlie's uncle, Chief Frendsen, was waiting near security when Charlie saw him. They embraced and Robert grabbed her bags, "how was your flight?" He asked, his deep voice reminding Charlie of when she was a child. Chief Frendsen worked at the police station Stratford and had been a father figure in Charlie's life ever since her parents had passed away.

He was a muscular man with a warm smile and although he may be intimidating, he was the nicest person you would ever meet. He wore his usual jeans and police training shirt and his badge was tucked into his pocket. He had blonde hair that was just beginning to gray and a small bald spot was beginning to show on the back of his head.

"Good," Charlie replied, "how are Mace and Don?" Charlie's teenage cousins had just begun to get 'attitude' as Chief Frendsen put it. He says that they have developed a smart mouth and reminded him of Charlie and Courtney at that age.

"Still using their smart mouths," he replied, smiling, "Carol insisted on making her famous chocolate chip cookies and has the entire house smelling like fresh cookies."

Charlie paused, trying to work up the courage to ask him, "and Courtney?" She asked, her voice quiet. She cared for her twin, no matter what had happened she always would.

Robert tensed for a moment, he and Carol were the only ones who knew what had happened years ago. "She's good," Charlie nodded, climbing into her uncle's pickup truck. The paint was still peeling as it was when she left. The old truck came to life as they drove towards Charlie's hometown.

Two hours later, the old house came into view. The brick exterior was smooth from years against Mother Nature. The grass was turning brown and some trees were around the house. The sun was rising over the hills to the West. Robert stopped the truck and Charlie immediately climbed out. Her feet hit the ground as she looked around. The neighborhood was silent.

Charlie helped Robert grab her bags and they walked towards the side door. The screen door swung open, the hinges creaking in protest. "Robert?" A voice floated through the kitchen as the two stepped inside. Charlie noticed that the kitchen had been renovated. Where the island used to stand, a bar counter had replaced it. The cabinets were turned into a dark, cherry wood. A plate of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies sat on the counter. Dirty dishes were stacked by the sink and shoes were tossed carelessly by the door.

"In here," Robert called to his wife.

Carol Frendsen entered the kitchen. She wore yoga pants with a Stratford High School Basketball hoodie. She smiled when her green eyes landed on Charlie. "Charlie!" She said, quickly embracing her niece, "how have you been?"

"Good," Charlie replied to her aunt, "glad to be back." Robert walked to his wife and placed a quick kiss on her forehead then walked to the plate of cookies.

"You should be at work," he said, picking up a cookie and taking a huge bite out of it.

Carol waved her hand through the air, dismissing Robert 's comment, "I was waiting for you. Also I wanted to see Charlie. It's been seven years for goodness sakes!"

Robert laughed, "well, Charlie had a long flight. She needs to rest," he picked up Charlie's suitcase, "Charlie, you can stay in your old room. I leave for the station in a couple minutes if you want to come in." Carol gasped.

"You mean my niece just got back after seven years and you are going to take her to work already?" She asked, "we are going to go shopping tomorrow. She can start at the station on Thursday."

Robert rolled his eyes at his wife, "okay," he simply said, "I'll take your bags to your room. I assume you know the way."

Charlie nodded, "thank you," she called as he walked from the kitchen. Carol turned to face Charlie.