Shyra's hands trembled as she handed the fourth scroll from the golden plate to the final soldier

Shyra's hands trembled as she handed the fourth scroll from the golden plate to the final soldier. She repeated the instructions, and he gave a short bow and stood beside his fellow soldier.

Seeing them stand shoulder to shoulder, bearing royal orders to look for her husband, made her wonder how things could have changed so easily.

Just yesterday she was laughing at Mahi's silly joke. Just yesterday he'd given her a bouquet of flowers during lunch. Just yesterday she'd gone to bed with the bright expectation of seeing him again.

Now, she didn't know where he was. She didn't know whether he was alive or dead. She didn't even know if he had run away from his responsibilities. All she knew was that she would look for him, and keep looking until the strength left her limbs and her brain was addled beyond recognition.

"Soldiers," she began, addressing the courtroom. "All of you have been tasked with giving these scrolls to the royalty of Mehri, Ronin, Ilya, and Ziya. You'll also have to stay behind and help the courtiers conduct their private investigation. I have given each soldier personal instructions, so make sure you follow them."

The four soldiers before her bowed and went to stand beside their appointed courtiers. Everything was done with a sense of foreboding, and Shyra knew that the soldiers and courtiers she had chosen would take their task with the required seriousness.

So she nodded and jerked her chin towards the doors, dismissing all of them. With a final bow, the soldiers strode alongside their courtiers and left to mount their spaceships.

Once she made sure that they left, Shyra snapped her fingers and the rest of the search teams made their way to the center of the court.

"All of you are my backup teams," she addressed them, her voice remaining collected and calm. "You'll research shady and dangerous individuals; living beings that the courtiers would be too scared to approach. Leave no criminal unturned; praani, human, man, woman, even child. Do not spare anyone from the investigation. Find Mahi," her voice cracked slightly, and she took a moment to compose herself. "Find your emperor and bring him back to his rightful place."