07- Hanahaki

Disclaimer: VERY ooc Kusuo, hanahaki, and angst

"This" is normal speaking
"This" is kusuo using telepathy to speak
"This" are thoughts
<This> it's me, the author speaking
/////////////
<Enjoy!>

Recently you and Kusuo had been doing research on completely random things. One of those things was 'Hanahaki' a fictional disease that occurs when there is one sided love, the victim grows their loved one's favorite flower from their lungs and it spreads like cancer until either the love is returned or the victim dies. The trick is that the victim must believe that their loved one truly loves them back, if they do not believe it after that person confesses then the flowers will keep spreading until they die. Another way that this disease is fixed is through surgery, this surgery has a high mortality rate and takes the feelings of love away from the victim forever. It was a truly terrifying disease.

Saiki's POV

I looked around finding myself on a bench in the park.

How did I get here?

I kept looking around finally noticing that y/n was beside me, they were talking about lots of irrelevant themes.

Weird. Why is my heart rate normal?

Normally when I'm with my partner, my heart rate becomes irregular, it's quite annoying but it just shows how much I- #$)+_#5#_

Huh? Why were my thoughts cut short? What's going on?

"And that's about it!" They smiled, their skin was extremely pale and their smile wasn't as bright as it normally was, their smiles always make my heart flutter so why? Why don't I feel anything for them? "Why did you bring me here l/n?" I wasn't able to control what I said, my tone came harsh and cold, I sounded exactly how I was with them when we first met, is this a memory from back then? "Well..." Their smile died down and they looked forward.

"Saiki-chin to tell the truth, I'm dying." They dropped the bomb, my eyes widened and I felt disoriented, a pit on my stomach made me feel nauseous, but for some reason my body didn't act or felt how it should."Why?"  Was the only thing that came out of my mouth. "It's Hanahaki, late stage, I'm getting surgery tomorrow, I don't really want to tho...and I don't know if I'll even survive the surgery..." They spoke their words carefully, I just noticed that their voice was raspier than it should be and they had huge eye bags, their voice was weak."Who is it?" The thought of them having a one sided love for someone else gave me sick feeling, but my body didn't seem to care it acted on it's own. "You, Saiki-chin." Their smile was on their face, it was weak and slightly forced. "Oh...how long..?" My body didn't seem to care, if this was my normal self my heart would be almost bursting out of my chest at the confession, but my body showed no signs of returning their love. "For the past 2 years and I know you'll never return my feelings and I do not expect you to, nor do I want you to fake it. I just needed to say it once before these feelings go away." Their weak smile was still present but their eyes never met mine. "Oh..."

Why do I feel so indifferent about their love? Why am not hugging them and telling them that is not true? That I return their- #5&_$-+

Again? Can I not return their feelings? Am I meant to see them forget their love for me without being able to stop it...?

Did I ever truly love them?

"Well I apologize for the inconvenience, I know you must be so bothered for having to spend time with me for such silly matters, I'll go now, but please remember that I truly loved you and I do not regret doing it, please do not blame yourself if something happens." With that they left, I wanted to chase after them, to hug them, to k1(# them and tell them that I- &&-#+-4//?* But I can't, I'm not in control of my body anymore...

Everything went black and I was now infront of y/n but they seemed different. Their usual blush and dorky smile weren't there, they looked at me with indifference, though friendly nevertheless.

"Oh, hey Saiki-chin." They said their tone calm, friendly and indifferent. "The surgery?" The words came out of my mouth a pit formed on my stomach, I felt like I couldn't breath and a lump on my throat made me feel like coughing. "Yes, everything went well, most of my memories from the past 2 years are blurry but the doctor says they should be all back in 3 or 4 years...maybe." They responded, they were calm, no signs of loving me anymore.

So this is it huh..?

I didn't speak, I felt like I would throw up if I did, I only nodded and they went home. At their disappearance I let it out. My body began to tremble as I coughed my breathing heavy. Once it stopped in my hand there was a white petal with drops of blood.

My eyes popped open, my breathing pattern irregular and my heartbeat fast. That was a weird dream...

When my vision became normal in front of me there was the back of my partner, they slept peacefully as they held onto my arm. I held them tight my hands slightly shaking. I love them, I truly do. Those words echoed in my mind like a mantra, until I once again fell into slumber.

[Chapter End]

<I apologize that Kusuo it's so out of character here, but I really wanted to show how much he cares about the reader, this might be important later on ;) anywho, read you later!>