3

"I'm gonna have to call your father."

"Mr. Blackworth, please."

He paused, then let out a deep sigh.

"You weren't a couple minutes late, Y/n. You were nearly 2 hours late, and we received no phone call letting us know that you would be tardy," he spoke sternly. My legs bounced vigorously underneath the desk. I tried so hard to hold in my panic, to keep my breaths from quickening. He can't know about this. This was supposed to be a good week for me, a break from the bullshit at home. If he found out, I would have hell to pay, and I'm out of all that I have left to give. I quickly lifted my eyes to the ceiling for a second, fighting the tears that were burning in my eyes. Mr Blackworth squinted his eyes at me for a moment before relaxing them again and letting out another sigh, "let me think on it, Y/n. You should head to class. Wouldn't want you missing more than you already have?" He stated, giving me a tight-lipped smile.

I gave a quick nod and swiftly pulled my book bag over my shoulder and rushed to the door, quickly pushing it open. I walked a fast pace, my breaths quickening as I moved. I made a sudden left turn, but ended up doing so too abruptly, causing me to collide with a brunette coming from the other direction.

"S-sorry, sorry I'm s-so sor-ry" I spat out, as I held out my slightly shaky hands in defense. I didn't dare look up at the person. I just quickly turned back to where I was heading but was immediately stopped by a cold, gentle hand that grasped onto my arm, forcing me to turn back. "hey, hey, it's okay," her soft voice spoke. "Is everything alright?"

"I-I'm fine. I'm fine" I responded, my voice barely above a whisper while shaking my head. I lifted a hand to my forehead, pushing back my hair when I finally met her green eyes. They were soft, full of concern and confusion as they looked back and forth between mine. She shook her head gently, clearly not believing me. But I took a step back, causing her hand to fall off of my arm and rest at her side. "I g-gotta go." I blurted out.

I turned on my heels and took off down the hall, this time, actually running.

"Wait" I could hear her say, but I had already made another quick turn and swiftly pushed open the bathroom door. 

I made my way to the sink, and put my hands on the counter, supporting me as I dropped my head. 

In. 

And out.

In.

And out.

I coached my own breathing, slowing my pace, before lifting my head back up. I looked at myself in the mirror, thankful that I hadn't let the tears slip out of my eyes. I haven't let myself cry in a while, and I didn't want that to start back up today. I reached my hand out and turned the sink on, splashing water on my face, and then grabbed paper towel to dry myself. I took a deep breath and cleared my throat, nodding my head. Good enough.

After a minute, I stepped out of the bathroom and finally made my way to my classes. I tried not to think about my dad finding out, even though it popped in my head every few minutes. There was really no sense in getting myself worked up about it right now. I just need to finish out the day, and then I'll let myself worry about whether I would to live till the third day of school or not.

-----------

The day dragged on again, like it normally does. But at last, I was once again headed toward my last period. Before I reached the door, I pulled my hood over my head and kept my eyes down. Being extra careful not to draw any attention to myself. Not that it was very hard. Once again. Invisible.