VI. No Going Back

I was still trying to recover from my interaction with The Joker when the guards knocked and I called for Jonathan entered the room.

I had been able to hide my now aching, slightly bruised throat from the guards by placing my hand over it while speaking to them, but I did not make the same effort with Jonathan

The moment the metal door slammed shut, he hurried over to me, and one look into his beautiful blue eyes had my own stinging with salty tears.

"Jonathan..."

He grabbed my face gently, tilting it upwards to get a better look at my neck. His eyes darkened,

"Who the fuck did this to you?"

"Jonathan, listen..."

"I won't ask you again, Ianthe." His voice dripped with icy rage.

"Joker. He had something to say, and he had to make sure I was listening, that I didn't call for guards."

"Well?" Jonathan inquired, gently releasing his hold on my face. His irises simmered. "What was so important that he had to choke you just to keep your attention?" He was angry.

"He told me that in exchange for getting him out of Arkham, he is going to help get you out, too—"

"Ianthe," he butt in, "you can't possibly believe—"

"He told me something else."

Jonathan went silent.

"He was the one who turned you in. He was working with Wayne Enterprises, sending out his men to take care of me so he could get a cut of the inheritance. When he somehow learned that you helped me escape the bounties placed in me and leave the country with the money...he was not happy to say the least. So he retaliated by exposing you. Wayne Enterprises then turned him in after he failed to take my life to keep the blood off of their hands."

Jonathan tussled at his brown hair, deep in thought.

"It all makes sense now..." he mumbled.

"So now, I have to talk to Rhys, who apparently has been working for Joker this whole time. He knows what to do."

"Rhys? Your supposed friend that tried to kill you?" He began to slowly pace. "Hmm, it seems like Joker prepared for this—this is no coincidence, but why..."

"I'm going to do it, Jonathan. It's my only shot at getting you out of here."

His features were written with fear.

"The Joker is a dangerous man, Ianthe, and you never really know when or if he's lying—which is 99% of the time. Trust me. He's probably using you. Not to me room, you'll also be doing something highly illegal."

"What other choice do I have?" I exclaimed, slightly agitated. I was just trying to help him. "And since when do you care if something is illegal or not?"