XI. Defeated

Debt? What the fuck was this clown talking about?

"Is this because of the inheritance? If so, I've paid that debt by getting you out of here! What more could you possibly want from me?"

Joker clicked his tongue. "Ah ah ah, missy. You see, not only did I lose my money, but I lost some of my men, and I got put in here."

I quivered

I quivered.

"Lucky for you, you've already paid two of your three debts. I've got some of my men back in exchange for the ones that went missing in an attempt to kill you," he motioned to the inmates standing behind him, "and you've gotten me out of the place that I ended up in because of my failure to kill you."

Joker chuckled manically.

"And the third debt?" My voice was no louder than a hush. I felt Jonathan's gaze upon me, his beautifully cruel eyes reminding why I got myself into this mess in the first place.

Because I loved him. I would fight for him.

"Yes, that," Joker continued, but stopped at the sound of approaching footsteps. I could already tell who it was by the way the clown grinned. Rhys.

"I told you she would be a great addition to the team," Rhys called. Joker nodded before tossing his manic gaze back towards me.

Addition to the team? What the actual fuck?

"What the hell are you talking about? Let go of him!" I yelled, breaking my stillness as I took a step forward.

Joker only pressed the knife deeper into Jonathan's neck. He inhaled sharply at the pain.

"I lost a lot of money because of you, missy. You're going to work for me in order to pay it back."

Hot rage filled my veins, melting the icy fear that had taken over me. "You can't lose money that you never had! There is no debt to be paid! I have done enough! Been through enough! Let him go! Let us go...please," my voice quaked. I felt defeated.

Joker sighed, dropping Jonathan and the knife. Jonathan gasped and tried to stand, but some of the inmates held him. The clown stalked over to me, but I held my ground.

Joker wiped the single tear that ran down my ear and whispered to me, "You will obey me." He pulled away.

"Besides, you need me. You've just committed a heinous crime, and whatever plan you had to flee is guaranteed to fall through. You're not a skilled-enough criminal to outrun the law. You silly, silly girl."

My head was swimming, I couldn't breathe. I was trapped.

"But, I can protect you. And once your debt is paid in full, I will help you escape this life."

A sudden cry from Jonathan filled the room, "Ianthe, no!" But he was silenced by a punch to the face by one of the inmates. I felt my face burn as I watched a stream of bright-red blood trickle from Jonathan's nose.