VIII. One of Us

I could hardly focus at work. It was two days before Christmas Eve, and tonight I would be meeting Rhys to hand over all the information I had gathered.

But today was also my day with Jonathan and Joker, so I had to collect myself.

My heart pounded violently as I strode down the grim corridor that led me to the High Security Ward. I would be telling Joker and Jonathan the plan, and how in now less than a few days, they'd be free. I would have to discuss with Jonathan what we would do after.

Go on the run? Change our identities? I wasn't sure.

The all too familiar feeling of anxiety and impending doom crept over me as I waited in the room for Joker.

Which felt like waiting for a death sentence.

"Well?" The clown cooed, sitting across from me. His wicked smile had by stomach in knots, but I wouldn't let him see my fear.

"Everything is prepared. I'm meeting with Rhys tonight to finalize the details."

"Good girl," Joker rasped. Chills electrified my body.

"How can I be sure that you'll protect me from being reprimanded, as Rhys said you would? I know you have connections, but how can I guarantee you won't leave me to rot after you've been set free? Rhys doesn't have the information yet, so whether ...

"How can I be sure that you'll protect me from being reprimanded, as Rhys said you would? I know you have connections, but how can I guarantee you won't leave me to rot after you've been set free? Rhys doesn't have the information yet, so whether it gets to him or not now depends on your answer and my satisfaction with it."

I kept my tone stern and icy.

Joker chuckled, tossing his hair back. "Why would I want the authorities to catch you? Think about that. With everything you know, why would I want you in their custody, telling them every detail of how my men and I work? Hmm?"

I guess he had a point. But, there was something in his crooked smile that I couldn't quite read.

"Alright," I said. "Be ready on the evening of Christmas Eve. Two days from now—Saturday."

"Perhaps we should celebrate after," Joker's voice became hushed, sultry.

There was no way I would be partying—or doing anything—with Joker. After everything was said and done, I didn't want to see or speak to him ever again.