Twenty-Seven

"Fuck off, Dex.", you said, eyes narrowed as he held out his hand and pointed towards the car. "I got your message. Said I'll be there."

His chest pulled together as he took a deep drag from his cigar. The stench was awfully chemical, not at all noble but fake and fabricated.

"You know this guy?", it was audible in her voice that Misty knew very well who she faced.

And she wasn't all too happy about it.

A deep breath escaped your lips as you pushed yourself in front of her to tell Dex that you weren't playing around.

"He's my boss.", you said over your shoulder, a hint of shame visible in your eyes.

"Your boss? Dexter DeShawn is your boss?"

Already bored by the situation, Dex took one last drag from his cigar and flipped the remaining piece right at you.

"Dann right I am.", his attention turned to you, Misty wasn't any object of his interest. "And I'd like to remind you, that I owe your ass. Get in the car. Now. We gotta talk."

With more than just simple hate written all over your face, you looked at the spot in which the cigar had hit you. A thin layer of ash was covering the fabric.

This shirt was Viktor's as well. He had given it to you for training and you wanted to take it home to wash it as well. It seemed only proper to return clothes clean.

You didn't want to be more of a burden than you had to be.

"What the fuck, Dex?", your voice was calm all of a sudden.

With empty eyes you met his face. Your expression was stern, unmoved. But your hands clenched into fists.

How many years were trapped with him now?

About four?

Maybe even five. Either way, it was way too long.

He had been the bane of your existence. Like a greedy, never ending black hole he just swallowed and took until there was nothing left no more.

You knew that if you wouldn't stop him, at some point, he'd be the one thing that would tear you down and swallow you whole.

You already had little to give and it declined by the moment. Despite his promise, he'd never make you a boxing champion. All he did was leech off your wins.

It was time to leave. You needed to get out or it would come around to end you once and for all.

But how?

That contract he had on you was worse than taking a bullet to the head. He had covered everything, from natural death to unnatural death, murder and the duty to win a fight or pay for the loss he had made.

You couldn't just leave.

"Car.", Dexter's voice got sharper. "Now."

Helpless, your eyes jumped over your shoulder to meet Misty's. She was just as clueless as you. It was clear that she had little to no experience fighting.

It would have been unfair of her to ask to defend you. This wasn't her fight and you wouldn't turn it into her problem either.

"Well, fuck me sideways...", you hummed and sucked in a sharp breath. "Dex. I'm fucking over with this. I won't fight no more for you."

Was that surprise that appeared on his face?

It was hard to tell since most of it was covered by these ugly ass glasses. His mouth didn't move. But there was this vibe about him.

This clear dissatisfaction.

"The fuck you just said?", a pair of deep brown eyes peaked out from the brim of his glasses. "You work. I got your signature."

"I don't care.", with your teeth clenched you dared to take a step towards him.

He wasn't frightening in any way, with his fat ass, shirt too short and this nasty attitude of his. He was just like a giant bag of leeches.

And you hated him. You had always hated him. But now you actually felt like you were able to do something about it.

What would he do?

It was obvious that he didn't know how to fight himself. And if he ever had known he must have forgotten a long time ago.

"The Afterlife makes one lazy, doesn't it? Makes you forget the ways of Night City.", you couldn't help but smile right at his face. "I want you to break that contract."

His legs flinched. He obviously wanted to run away. But his pride didn't let him.

"You know I won't do that. Why would I?", he laughed, so full of himself and arrogance. "You made me a good buck all this time."

Irritated, you had to clench your hands into fists to keep yourself from punching him right in the face.

"(Y/N).", all of a sudden Misty's hand was on your shoulder. "We should leave. This is getting nowhere."

Your eyes were still on Dexter as you shook her hand off, maybe a bit harsher than you had intended.

"Misty.", you had to physically force yourself to stay calm. "Get Vik."

"But-!"

"Get. Viktor. Now.", your eyes jumped back to meet hers and for a very brief second you wouldn't keep up the hard surface that you had build. "Please. Go get Vik."

Her gaze wandered over your face. How unsure she was, so scared.

Maybe that was how it felt like to be without cyberware and no way of defending oneself. You never knew how that felt like. Ever since you could remember there had been chrome investing your body.

Again, your lips curled and a silent plead was said.

Finally, she swallowed her, nodded her head and rushed into the shop. Maybe she just wanted to get away and wouldn't even get Viktor.

You wouldn't blame her. She was supposed to be safe.

Your attention returned to Dexter only to realise that something about him had changed. His mood had shifted.

There was the hint of a nasty grin on his lips all of a sudden.

"Now that we're alone, why don't you accompany me to the fucking car?", he chuckled. "Someone's desperate so see you."