Thirty

The dark settled in and Dexter finally decided it was time to leave. After all, the dumpster he had relocated you to did not reach his standards.

To be fair, it was a better place than the one you used to live in. The walls were without holes and windows kept the cold of the night away.

It still smelled but you were already used to that.

Wrapped in a blanket, you lay next to Julie, staring at her back. She was all curled up like a child. Every now and then her body trembled.

The drugs must have stopped influencing her by now and she struggled with the withdrawal symptoms. It was a familiar sight but also worrying.

Back in Night City you always had a chance to run to a nearby ripper whenever the symptoms were too overbearing.

But out in the badlands?

Nothing but sand and rocks.

And a bodyguard outside. With a gun in his hand and a car under his ass.

Dexter really wanted to tease you until the last ounce of patience was drained from your innermost. Maybe he didn't know that, if you lost all your patience, you'd come for his ass.

And if he did he couldn't have given a single fuck.

"Dammit...", you sighed and snuggled up to your sister to share some warmth.

Julie let out a sigh. Her head moved and for the first time in forever she seemed to directly look at you. Not past you, not towards you with empty eyes that didn't seem to focus.

Not she locked eyes with you and a sound escaped her lips.

Maybe it was just your imagination but you felt like she wanted to apologise. It was an odd thought but you didn't believe that your sister could feel sorry in the first place.

If she'd truly be sorry she would have stopped with the cheap implants as soon as you had asked her as a teenager.

Now she just regretted not listening to you.

"Look at us.", you sighed and smiled bitterly. "Guess we both are in shit we didn't want to. Just... life fucked us sideways."

With a sigh you closed your eyes and turned your head away so that she wouldn't be able to stare at you in your sleep. If you were completely honest with yourself, you couldn't bare the look of her face.

You still remembered her old self, bubbly and proud. Until she decided to follow in your parents footsteps.

"A disgrace from a disgrace.", you mumbled to yourself while you eyed the metal edges that ran through your skin. "We are all... Dammit..."

Your heart felt heavy all of a sudden. Everything did. As if the weight of the world wanted to crush you beneath it.

A long moment of silence filled the room. Nothing but the wind danced through the wide emptiness of the badlands. Sand hit the windows but didn't manage to creep inside.

For the very first time you were glad that you didn't have to sleep in the other house no more. Abandoned and damaged.

Just like you.

The thought made you dig your nails into the old mattress.

Was that anger?

Or frustration?

You couldn't tell. It was so hard to tell what one felt if they felt everything, everywhere, all at once. It made you sick to your stomach that you weren't able to be sure about anything.

Just like with Viktor.

Viktor.

His name made you stop downing in self hatred. It was like a soothing elixir that managed to heal your soul whole.

With him, you felt so secure, able to breathe. Never before had you felt this good in your life. Or if you did, you couldn't remember.

Now that you thought about him it had been some time since his call. Obviously, he wouldn't show up within the breath of a second.

But a few hours had passed already.

Slowly, you felt like he had changed his mind and wouldn't come. And if he did, you didn't know what to tell him.

That your boss was a piece of shit?

No, Misty probably already told him that. What was more important was your sister.

What would you tell him?

That he had to rescue a junkie alongside you?

No, you squeezed your eyes shut and shook your head. It was unfair to think of her in such an ill way. And yet. You couldn't help it.

Somewhere in the distance the engine of a car sounded. The driver probably started to get bored and wanted to go for a drive.

It didn't really matter anyways. Even if he left you wouldn't be able to run. There was nothing but desert out there, acid rain and unfiltered, polluted air.

You wouldn't make it far by foot. Even less so with another person to carry. Since Julie wasn't able to walk on her own.

Everything seemed so possible yet impossible.

It was one big ass shit show.

Car doors opened. Then they were closed, quite loud actually. Maybe the driver was pissed.

A sudden thought struck you.

If the driver wanted to leave, why would he open the door again?

Alarmed, your popped yourself on your elbows to throw a glance through the window. No one outside. It was dark and the junkyard seemed to be asleep.

Your eyes moved to Julie.

She was vast asleep, barely moving enough to be alive. You feared she wouldn't make it through the night. At least she wouldn't freeze to death.

Outside, sounds started to cut through the silence of the dark.

Suddenly, a gunshot made you jump from the mattress.

"What the hell..?", you whispered under your breath as you debated wether or not it was a good idea to move towards the door.

Again, shots rang out. This time they were multiple.

Someone yelled.

Maybe you were going crazy but you believed that this voice was familiar to your ears.

A few seconds passed.

You waited.

Then, finally, you made a decision and grabbed the handle of the door. You turned it.

It was locked.