Forty-Two

The silence that filled the space of Misty's was the kind that could have killed anyone and anything with discomfort.

The whole gang showed up, the V's, Valerie pregnant to the nines, Jackie and Misty who all gathered around the counter on which you sat, face buried in your hands.

Vik stood next to you, arms crossed. The expression on his face was as equally grim.

Everything had gone to shits within the past few hours. Mere hours of happiness and life tried to punch you back into your place.

Maybe it was true that some people simply weren't meant to fly.

"Shit...", Valerie muttered as the news set in. "That's fucked up."

Agreeing, Jackie hummed.

"So the clinic is ruined?", he asked with a shrug.

A deep sigh made Viktor's chest tremble. He shrugged in response, unable to explain since his energy was about as drained as yours.

"Couldn't save a single implant.", he confirmed and reached out to grab your hand.

This wasn't to comfort you. It was for him. Vik needed support in this moment, even more than you. Within a split second decision he had lost his entire existence.

And it was partially your fault.

Why did you hurt everyone who meant something to you?

Maybe you were just bad luck.

"How high's the damage?", Vincent asked.

"You wouldn't be able to pay up.", Vik huffed in an attempt to keep his spirit up.

"We still owe you, Vik.", Valerie reminded him with a glance over to Jackie. "Ain't that right, choom?"

"Goddamn right.", a grin on his face, Jackie pulled out a golden pistol. "We can get whatever you need back. Just say the word."

"Damn right we can.", Vincent pulled out a gun himself, stopped mid sentence and glanced at Valerie. "If you allow."

He breathed a kiss to her cheek.

With a roll of her eyes, she crossed her arms on top of her tight stomach and sighed.

"Guess I'll have to sit this one out. The parasite is about to pop. Don't want to risk it.", she joked.

Flattered by his friends support, Vik managed to smile.

"I appreciate your attitude.", he said and exchanged a glance with you. "But I fear gettin' all the cyberware back just won't cut it. Gear and machines are smashed too."

"How much we talkin'?", Misty wanted to know.

You rubbed your eyeballs with a groan. A headache made it feel like they were about to pop out of your head. It felt like your own brain tried to poison you from the inside out.

Every single word made your head spin.

"Couple hundred grand.", Viktor said and took off his glasses to rub his eyes. "Won't be easy to get your hands on that many eddies."

"Shit, Vik, that's more than we paid for our apartment.", Valerie huffed in disbelief.

"But that'll be enough to fix up the clinic, right?", Vincent asked, eyebrows drawn together.

"It'll replace the chair and the vital elements I need. Screens, computers. Some surgical instruments."

"You should get a new glove if you're on it.", Misty joked. "Yours raises some questions."

The group had a laugh about it.

But you couldn't bring yourself to feel just an once of relief. The decision weighted down on your shoulders like nothing ever did before.

Not only would you need the money to rebuild the clinic, you also had to decide wether or not it was smart to keep Julie alive.

Vik had put her on life support as per your request. But he said that it wound only delay her death. Not prevent it. Basically, your sister was a dead woman.

It was just up to you to decide when that would turn into reality.

"Shit...", you sighed.

Vik put a hand on your shoulder to comfort you. Despite all the shit he was in as well he still tried his best. He cared. You weren't sure if you deserved a man like him.

But you were dedicated to at least try.

"Heads up, you two.", Misty tried to encourage you with a smile. "Four hands get work done faster than two. You're with each other now. Could be worse, no?"

Tired, you raised your head for the first time and smiled.

"Yeah, but he wouldn't be in this without me.", you had to sigh again. "Fuck, Vik, I'm so sorry."

"Now don't get gloomy, sweetheart.", his hand squeezed your shoulder. "I ain't mad."

Even though he had all right to be. You were relieved to. Thanks to his gentleness you had the chance to figure out a plan.

And maybe you already had one. It was just the question of how you'd bring it to success.

Taking a deep breath, you closed your eyes and gathered your thoughts before looking at everyone again.

"Alright, clinic is in ruins and we need money.", you said and looked around. "Anyone ever robbed a bank?"

Jackie laughed.

"Goddamn! I like your attitude, choom.", he bared his pearly white teeth. "Sounds like we've done worse gigs before."

"Sounds like it.", Valerie shrugged. "I'm in."

"No, you're not.", Vincent interrupted, frowning.

"You can't tell me what to do!"

"You're carrying MY child. You ain't goin' nowhere."

Angry, Valerie blew air into her cheeks to make them puffed to show just how annoyed she was with the ban from her husband.

Her eyes glared at Viktor, trying to gain his support. But Vik was a ripper. And rippers were kind of doctors. So he knew that Vincent was right.

It was better to keep her and the baby safe with Misty.

"No way in hell.", he said and crossed his arms in front of his chest.

"C'mon, Vik!", she begged.

"No."

You couldn't help but chuckle.

"Aren't you a bunch of weirdos...", you huffed and wiped a tear from the corner of your eyes.

"What's that supposed to mean?", Jackie asked with wrinkles on his forehead.

"You're one of us now.", Vincent agreed.

"How come?", confusion appeared on your face.

"Cause you're fuckin' Vik.", Valerie grinned.