Forty-Five

The air vibrated as you set foot in the underground bar that lay hidden deep between Night City's districts Japan Town and Kabuki.

It smelled of all kinds of flavours, most artificial but others surprisingly natural.

With a grim look you pulled your hood deeper into your face and dug to escape the eyes of the people who lingered between neon light and loud music.

Your optics sharpened, analysed everyone who passed.

Viktor really had outdone himself by fixing you up. You had never been better. Quite literally. You were at the peak of your existence and you could tell.

Breathes echoed in your ears, mixed with voices and cheering while the music made you feel like your brain wanted to scratch its way through the back of your skull.

Smoke scratched your lungs with every breath.

To avoid unwanted attention, you snug past a group of people who were more than just drunk and slipped through a door that led backstage.

A few eyes watched as you passed by, one security guard grabbed you by the shoulder before letting go again quickly as he realised who you were.

"Dex is waiting for you behind stage.", he said with a gesture of his head and returned to his position.

You thanked him with a nod of your head and rushed off. Every cell in your body tingled. It felt like electricity licked across your skin.

Shit, Dexter had mentioned that this fight was one of the bigger ones but he hadn't mentioned it to he the final round of the underground tournament.

Cameras were set up everywhere, the lighting was so bright that you almost felt your optics go wild. Everything was set up for a stream. That meant your face would be all across the New Net.

Not a bad thing per se but it didn't really play into your plans to lay low. You just wanted to fight this because of the money that Dexter owed you.

And for the price which had just risen considering that you'd surely make it up a league if you won this.

"Nothing to worry about.", you muttered to yourself and headed for a back room that clearly had to be reserved for a very important someone.

Smoke hit you in the face as the door swung open. Struck by surprise, you pulled your head in, eyes narrowed. It was only in that split second that you were caught off guard.

But it was enough time for a hand to reach out and grab you by the collar. Swapped off your feet, you were pulled into the room.

The door swung shut. A sound indicated that it locked on its own.

Immediate a cold shiver crawled down your spine. Goosebumps covered your limbs and alarms started to ring in your heart.

Your hand shot up, wrapping around a neck in response.

Silence spread. Only your own breath filled your ears.

"Shit, keep it down!", it wasn't Dexter who disciplined you, but the voice of T-Bug.

Your attention was fixed onto the man in front of you. The one who held you by the collar. He had a threatening look on his face but surprise started to shine through.

"Tell your dog to let go.", you said, eyes still on the issue.

"He's not my dog.", she put her hands on her hips.

"But Dexter's.", for the first time you gifted her a glance from the corner of your eyes. "And you happen to be his favourite, no, Buuuug?"

Annoyed, she crunched her nose, lips curled. But she did not contradict. Obviously, since it was more than clear to see what the truth was.

A sigh escaped her lips. She rolled her eyes and did a gesture.

"Get lost.", she said.

A hum made the man's chest quiver. But his grip on you loosened until it was gone.

"Fuuuuckerrr...", you breathed after him just to make yourself feel something other than annoyance.

"Are you done?", T-Bug asked with one eyebrow raised.

Your shoulders loosened. Causally, you slipped your hands back into your pockets and shrugged in a defensive manner.

To be honest, her sheer presence was enough to make you want to leave. The look on her face, the way she talked down at you made your blood boil.

Not that it was anything new. She had been this way before.

But now you felt like you were able to do something about it.

How would Dex react when he found out that his favourite toy was no longer available?

"Where's Dex?", you asked, your eyes darting around the room.

T-Bug let herself fall onto a large couch, legs crossed and placed one arm on the headrest.

"He's out to get your money.", she answered with a voice that seemed both bored and annoyed.

You couldn't help but huff.

"You don't seriously think I'll believe that, do you?", you asked, eyes narrowed as you crossed your arms in front of your chest. "He didn't pay me all this time. Why make such a fuss now?"

A shadow crossed Bug's face. It seemed she was surprised by that answer. Or she just didn't want to believe that you were so clueless.

Admittedly, it would have been wiser to come prepared but you had neither time nor the means to. You had taken a leap of faith and as far as you could tell it hadn't backfired yet.

"Dex is done with you.", it struck you as odd that T-Bug was so blunt all of a sudden yet it didn't surprise.

She was a woman who followed a purpose. If there was no advantage to draw from anymore she dropped everything and moved on until she found a new place to profit from.

Dexter was a tool to her just like she was a toy to him. Now that the prince of the Afterlife threatened to fall from grace Bug seemed like she wanted to abandon ship as long as it was still possible.

"You mean I don't make him money no more.", you raised your chin.

Her eyes fell onto you.

"It's said that you have some powerful fiends now."

"I don't know what you're talking about. It's just me."

"Sure. Let's pretend that's true.", she shrugged. "Still, Dex is shivering at the thought. He's down on his luck so he won't risk it for a noob like you."

A flinch chased across your face.

"Listen, Bug.", you spit out her name. "This noob won without fail till now. Future champion activities, if you ask me."

Her eyes lingered on you, somewhat hateful.

"Here.", she did a gesture and an amount of money flashed up before your eyes. "Take this upfront. Dex sends his regards."