Chapter 50

I walked out the back room and sat at a table in the back, waiting for Silan to come while I set my bowl down in front of me. I moved a hand through my hair and sighed before I shook my head and started to eat my food, mulling over what had happened.

The patrons of this place didn't bother me, but they looked at me and looked away as if they were concerned and wondered what happened. They could see that my skirt was frayed and dirty as if I had been pushed by something or someone to the ground.

There were a few concerned whispers and looks toward me, but no one made their way to me. Concern filled their voices, but they knew better than to question me without Jonah's permission or my consent, no matter how much they wanted to help.

I bit back a small sigh and moved a hand across my face, feeling tired and drained, not liking the fact that I couldn't talk to my dragon and worried that he would try to do something stupid like try to escape from where he was hidden before it was time.

"Mirïna..." I clenched my hand into a fist and set my jaw but didn't reach for my dagger. I took a deep breath before I released it with a small whoosh. I moved a hand through my hair before I shook my head and pursed my lips in annoyance.

The whispers stopped as soon as the door of the pub opened, and everyone looked that way, including me, and I couldn't help but breathe a small sigh of relief.

Thank the Great...

Tension filled the air while this old man walked in and looked around, closing the door behind him while he looked for someone.

Some of the patrons looked at me before they looked at him again, waiting to see my reaction and wondering if it was safe for him to be here.

I didn't respond and slowly nodded, silently indicating that it was fine that he was here, and I continued to eat my food.

The patrons didn't say a word to him, and the chatter picked up again. They ignored him, and I was relieved that no one tried to do anything to him.

I looked up from my food again and noticed that Silan was looking at me, and relief filled his eyes when he saw that I was "fine." I didn't say a word and slowly nodded, silently indicating that it was fine for him to come and talk to me.

He breathed a small sigh of relief and slowly made his way toward me, his whole body moving side to side but never falling, much to my relief.

I pressed my lips into a thin line and didn't say a word while he walked over to me, wanting to give him more of that drink but knowing that I couldn't because of something to deal with him and it.

The patrons of the pub moved away from him slightly and watched as he made his way toward me. They stopped talking again while they watched him, and I could tell that most, if not all, were annoyed that he was coming to talk to me without talking to Jonah first...

I didn't say a word and gritted my teeth in annoyance while I looked around at the patrons, silently telling them to mind their own business and to leave this man alone because they knew nothing.

The patrons slowly dipped their heads in apology and didn't say a word to me. However, they started to talk again, not even talking about Silan or about how they want Jonah to show himself here.

There was a small chuckle in front of me, and I looked that way to see Silan staring at me with amusement in his eyes. He gripped the back of the chair tighter and slowly dipped his head closer to his chest in greeting. "Hello, Rinnie," he said, and I scowled and narrowed my eyes, and he grinned amused. "There is no need to act like that."

I scowled and narrowed my eyes further but didn't say a word while I started to stand to help him sit.

"Stop, Rinnie," Silan said with a shake of his head, and I stopped trying to get out of my chair. "I can sit on my own and without your help, Rinnie. I am not old."