Chapter 8

"So, tell me more about life here before the "Great War." What was it like?" Prince Caspian asked, watching as I fed the fire with sticks and kindling.

"There was a lot of trading going on," I said, looking up at him, the fire crackling and making obscure shapes across his face. "They didn't have the walls up, so the people of the forest were free to go into the town."

"Then how did the humans protect themselves if there was a fight?" he asked. "Aren't giants rude and scary and evil?"

"Not really evil," I replied, shaking my head. I went to clutch my gem only to realize that it wasn't there and sighed, longingly. "They are actually a nice group of people unless they drink Brima."

"Brima?" Prince Caspian asked, furrowing his brows. "What is that?"

"It's an Elvish concoction," I replied, shrugging my shoulder. "It's really strong. Stronger than our strongest beer."

"Seriously?" Prince Caspian asked, and I nodded. "Have you had it?"

I shook my head. "I have heard about it. I am too young to drink." I didn't tell him that I did go into a pub every now and then for a meeting with Jonah.

"But, what about fights?" he asked. "Who stops them?"

"There used to be a thing called Dragon Riders," I said. I watched as Rowa bounded towards us with a couple of rabbits in her mouth. "But, there are none left."

Rowa dropped them at my feet before moving behind. She flicked her ears back against her head when I mentioned the Dragon Riders.

"Are you going to eat those?" Prince Caspian asked. "You know that you are going to be beheaded, right?"

"Are you hungry?" I asked, starting to skin the rabbits. "Those berries won't fill you up until the morning." I paused and narrowed my eyes at the blue-eyed male. "Are you going to tell your father?"

"I am not going to tell my father, but yes, I am hungry. I could eat a horse."

Ren looked up from where he was eating and snorted. He flicked his ears back and bared his teeth at the Prince.

"I wouldn't suggest that," I said. I finished skinning the rabbits before cutting them up into chunks. "Horses do not taste good. Dire Wolves on the other hand..." I smirked at my wolf hybrid when she growled and walked away from me.

Prince Caspian chuckled and shook his head. "I don't think that she would taste good either." He watched as I placed the meat into the pot and set the pot on the fire. "What is that going to be?"

"Rabbit stew," I replied. I stood and wiped my hands on jeans before going over to my basket where I had bowls and spoons. "It'll fill you up until you get back to the palace."

"What about you?" Prince Caspian asked, watching me. "Will you have enough to eat when you get back?"

I shook my head no. "It doesn't matter," I said, washing the bowls and spoons in the creek near where I had set up camp. "I am used to it." I handed him the bowl and spoon when it was cleaned and went back to where I had been sitting.

The Prince frowned and nodded his head. "What are you doing now?" he asked, watching as I was scraping the rest of the meat and fat off of the skin.

"I am going to gift it to the Gods," I replied. "Pray for food and good fortune for my people."

"What do you mean your people?" he asked. He wasn't trying to be rude, I could, but it stung when he said it like that.

"Someone has to care for the poor," I replied, looking at him. I looked down and finished scraping everything off. I removed the pot from the fire and tossed the rest of the meat into the fire, silently praying for the poor.