Chapter 53

Silan left after that for some reason, muttering something under his breath about having to do something that didn't have to deal with us, and Ilas stayed put, not saying a word.

"Hmph," Jonah said and pursed his lips in annoyance. He looked in the direction that Silan went before he looked at me and then at Ilas. "Can we..?" He trailed off and raised an eyebrow in question while he looked at me again, and I shook my head and grimaced.

"I do not know why Silan is acting like that," I said and moved a hand across my face, biting back an annoyed sigh. "That is a bit worrisome, don't you think?" I asked and raised an eyebrow in question.

Silently, I told him that it wasn't safe to talk about Silan and Ilas and how the real Silan was sitting in front of us with a new name and a new face.

Jonah pursed his lips further in annoyance before he slowly nodded. "Hmph," he said again before he cleared his throat and shifted in his seat. "I am sure that it is worrisome, but it isn't something that you can't handle, Marini," he teased while he winked playfully, and I rolled my eyes and pressed my lips into a thin line while I stared at him. "Right?" He raised an eyebrow in question.

"I will be able to handle it; I am sure, Jonah," I said before I took a sip of my drink before I cleared my throat and shifted in my seat, placing my cup down again. "However, I do not think that it is something that I should have to handle at such a young age, correct?" I gave him a pointed look, and Jonah grinned in amusement and leaned back in his seat.

"Well, there is a lot of stuff that you shouldn't have to handle, but you do, anyway," he said and shrugged, nonchalantly. "I do not know how you can handle it, but I am glad that you can, at least for the time being." He gave me a pointed look after he winked and smirked, and I shrugged and grimaced, pressing my lips into a thin line.

"It's not much that I can't handle, Jonah," I said before I cleared my throat and shifted in my seat before I finished the rest of my food and leaned back in my seat. "Let's just thank the Great that I am able to do this because there could be a chance that if someone else was in my position, then they wouldn't be able to do it."

"That's true," Ilas said and nodded in confirmation, and we looked at him, "but I am sure that there are those that will be able to do it, too." He winked teasingly, and I rolled my eyes and scowled. "However, not as good as you have done from the beginning."

"Hmph." Jonah leaned back in his seat and folded his arms across his chest. "I wonder if Silan is feeling well," he said randomly, tapping his fingers on the side of his arm in some sort of code. "I don't think he even finished his food."

He looked at the food near him and pursed his lips in annoyance. "Maron is not going to be pleased."

"No, she won't," I said and shook my head while Charles appeared out of nowhere to collect the empty plates. I nodded in greeting before I turned my attention back to Jonah. "However, I don't think she will give Silan an earful."

"Correction, she's not going to find him to give him an earful," Jonah said, giving me a pointed look, and I bit back a small snort but nodded in agreement. "Maron will give him an earful when she sees this and once she sees him." He gestured to the food that was beside him.

"Well, you haven't finished your plate either, Jonah," Charles said and started to collect my plate as well as Silan's plate. "Are you not hungry?" He reached to take his plate from in front of him, and Jonah swatted at his hand.

"Get your paws off of my plate, Charles," Jonah scolded while Charles took his hand away from the plate, snickering. "What is wrong with you, Man?"

I bit back a small amused snort and shifted in my seat. "I am sure that there is a lot wrong with him, especially since he has been working for you for years, Jonah," I said, and Jonah flashed me an annoyed look. "You could be like our friend and have his plate covered with his body." I gestured to Ilas, who in fact was covering his plate with his body so that Charles wouldn't take it, eating what he could stuff into his mouth.