Chapter 41

When she came to, all that Carmen could see was the moonlight shining through a small barred window. She could only focus on the light, her body too drowsy to turn her head or eyes elsewhere. Feeling like this wasn't unusual, when she was beginning her training, she was taught ways to combat the effects of drugs, which was why she allowed her body to recuperate, slowly wriggling her limbs one by one as she gained minimal control.

While she did so, the assassin took in her surroundings, silently assessing the situation she was in. Her hands were tied above her head in chains and handcuffs, while her body dangled down the the floor, her feet also loosely chained to the ground. The government clearly weren't taking any risks with her. Her wrists appeared to be red against the cuffs, that couldn't have been good for her.

"You're awake?" A man muttered from the ground, his voice barely above a whisper. Recognising the distinct formal tone, Carmen turned her head and looked at her companion.

"Erwin." She croaked, her voice dry and quiet.

"They're outside the cell, we can talk, but quietly." He warned as Carmen took in his appearance. It wasn't a pretty sight, his eye was bruised, and his nail beds missing a few nails. She could also make out a swollen jaw, it was possible some of his teeth had been removed.

"You look like shit." The assassin stated bluntly, there was no reason to tiptoe around the subject, it was an obvious attempt at torture upon him. "I take it they didn't get anything from you."

"You'd be right." Erwin nodded. The commander looked at her with confusion, under the impression she would be the last person he'd see in a government dungeon. "What brings you here?" He wondered. Carmen assumed that if his eyes weren't bruised and swollen, then he'd be quirking one of his eyebrows at her.

"We were surrounded, someone had to stay behind. I decided I had the greatest odds of surviving until I met that bitch." She spat, hating to imagine the woman who captured her.

"Let me guess." Erwin added. "Tall, muscular, dark curly hair and crazy eyes."

Carmen nodded, the description matching her opponent to a tee. She gathered that the woman must have given Erwin those nasty black eyes and bruises. Dolls weren't taught that way of torturing, which only confirmed Carmen's suspicions. "You know anything?" She pressed the topic, hoping to gain an upper hand.

"She did this earlier." He pointed at his state. "She wanted to know about you specifically for one detrimental reason."

"And what's that?" Carmen wondered.

"She mentioned she was designed to kill you." Carmen was shocked, but let him continue. "Years ago, when you first showed signs of strength, your handlers realised you posed a threat to their regime. So, in order to diminish that threat, they made Helga. She was raised completely different to you, to make sure that you wouldn't ever side with on another. You worked hard, and trained vigorously, where as the government pumped chemicals into her. Everything she has is artificial brute strength. She may be physically advanced, but I'd say you stand a greater chance."

Carmen found it all hard to believe. The government had to know that their work was wrong, thats the whole reason Helga was created, which made her even more disgusted by them. However, the abnormality of the situation made sense. Her technique was sloppy and focused on her own strength and speed, to compensate for her lack of experience, she wore armour.

"So, her strength is inhuman?" Carmen questioned, trying to justify losing the fight.

Erwin nodded. "It may sound extreme, but I genuinely believe that her strength is on par with some of the low class titans."