7. Explanation pt.2

'That's fair' I tell her in an attempt to show her she doesn't owe me anything. 'So... What do I do now?' I ask her. I do nothing. I find out about this and while everyone else pays to get help with it I continue shoving my arm into trash cans and smoking half-used cigarettes. That's what happens. Or I find out I'm still on the mattress and just got schizophrenia or something. My thoughts have already demotivated me when I hear her answer my question sweetly. 'You come to the academy with me, and then Mr. Johnson and your team will help you with your missions'.

My brows furrow in confusion as i realise the story she is telling me. Before I can think everything through I start firing questions at her, 'What team? Who's Mr. Johnson? Why do we trust them? Why would he send someone as little as you to talk to me? Why was I chosen? How are we even supposed to get to this academy?'. 'Your team is a small group of students who will go on missions with you and help you learn everything you need to know, Mr. Johnson is a really strict -but still nice- big man who owns the academy, He sent me because I know you, nobody knows why the selected are chosen since the spirits won't tell anyone, and I'm already eleven so obviously I have a phone, I can just call someone to pick us up. You're really fun to talk to, you know that'' she excitedly answers my questions.

I let out a soft sigh before deciding to just drop the topic for now and enjoy the food while figuring out how Devi is doing nowadays. Besides, I'm currently spending most of my nights on cold, wet, rough pavement; so it really can't get worse.

'How have you and mom been holding up?' I ask as kindly as possible before gulping down some of the coke in front of me. She seems happy that I asked the question as she opens her mouth and starts rattling on. 'Really good. Mom got a new boyfriend, but I only met him once. When she first talked about him I didn't like him since I still missed dad, but then he took me to Disneyland so he's definitely really cool. Still not as cool as dad though. But I don't think anyone will ever be'.

I feel bad for her. I know what it's like to lose a parent at such a young age and if I could have made sure she would never go through that I would have. But in a way I'm the reason her life is like this.

After a little while I feel my body relaxing as I finish my meal. I lift my head to see Devi still happily sipping on her large drink. After she finally finishes I grab the tray the food was on and start walking towards the trashcan before emptying it and leaving, with Devi clinging onto my arm as we get onto the crowded sidewalk. My head starts to hurt slightly as I once again hear the sounds of sirens, children, phone calls, advertisements, street artists, friend groups, and cars. I hold Devi as close to me as possible before asking her, 'So are you going to call someone or nah?'. She giggles with a mischievous smile before telling me she already sent a text a while ago, and that we have to wait at the end of the street for our ride to pick us up.

What the hell am I doing? Why am I following an eleven year old into a stranger's car? I could get us both in trouble. What, first I cause her fathers death and now her own? ughhhh.