8. There

The feeling of warm air calms me down as I get into the black BMW X1. I feel my muscles start to ease a bit as my back relaxes onto the leather seat. I was sitting in the back of the car, all on my own. While Devi was talking to the chauffeur about how bad she wanted to go to the beach with her mom the upcoming summer.

'Just relax until we arrive at your destination alright?' the man driving the car tells me before turning towards Devi again and continuing their conversation.

I must truly underestimate the amount of comfort I am feeling as I listen to their conversation, before falling asleep, leaning against the car door.

I'm dreaming again.

I'm sitting in a big living room with a cozy sofa and pictures on the wall. Our pictures. Mom, dad, me, even my cousins, all hanging on the walls. I stand up and start to look around with tears in my eyes. Somehow I had forgotten our house used to look so nice. It looked inviting. After mom died there were empty bottles on the floor, food stains in the sofa, holes in the walls where pictures had previously hung, and there were blood and tear stains in my pillow. I know I hate my father. He hurt me. He hurt himself. He should have been more responsible. But as I look around, as much as it makes me hate myself, I'm angry at my mother as well. My fist balls up as I feel my nails dig into the palms of my hands. She couldn't help it of course. She didn't choose to die, cancer chose that. But still I'm angry. Angry because if she had stayed alive dad would have never fallen apart, and if she had stayed alive I would have not been on the streets. I know she's completely innocent, and that she loved us with all her heart. But somehow it still feels as if she had done me injustice, and it aggravates me.

My mom didn't deserve what she went through, but neither did I.

I shut my eyes and take a deep breath before continuing to look around. I calm down again and a tear rolls down my cheek as the smell of my mothers perfume reaches my nose. My hands shake slightly as I open the door to my bedroom. There's a batman logo I had drawn stuck to my wall, and five of those Hot Wheels cars scattered across the floor. I really had no worries back then. Bless that little boy, no idea of what is about to happen. I start walking forward and sit down on my tiny bed.

My head starts aching as I start to hear the voice of a very excited Devi again, her chuckles getting louder and louder.

'Matteo! You're finally awake again! you were asleep for a reallllyyyy long time' she exclaims with a giggle. The chauffeur just gives me a quick glance before focussing on the road in front of him again. 'we're almost there' he quickly lets me know.

When I look out of the window I'm greeted by the sea. We're driving on a bridge?.

With a groan I turn around again and close my eyes, not falling asleep this time.

I rest my head back until I hear the sound of tires screeching and feel the car slowing down, until it finally completely stops. I slowly open the door and step outside before looking up at the building in front of me.

It's massive, with flowers covering every single inch of the brick wall. The sun shining through the massive windows, fountains of clear light-blue water decorating the place, and horses guarding the entrance.

Just kidding, it looks so insanely boring I genuinely want to punch the guy who had driven me here, and maybe even Devi as well. It has slightly damaged brick walls, tiny windows, and dead plants in front of the door. It's big though, I must admit.

I feel Devi cling onto my arm as she pulls me towards the entrance.