Chapter 36: An Invite

Blaze's POV:

I breathed in the warm air. Birds chirped in the air, and the loudest noise was the soft hush of the garden fountain. Flowers swayed in the breeze, and the fresh smell blew into my direction. I was currently sitting in the school garden, one of the only places I can find peace and quiet.

"Blaze!" A familiar voice called from behind me.

At least sometimes...

I turned around and saw Brandon with his minions behind him, putting their best 'We're-so-menacing' faces on. They honestly looked stupid, but they were a lot dumber than they looked. You could ask them what country the Eiffel Tower is in, and they would say Paris.

"What are you doing out here without your friends? Oh, wait, you don't have any." He sneered.

"Huh, isn't that wrong for you to say, considering you have so little friends, it's literally in the negatives." I retorted.

"Well, I still have more. You have zero." Brandon snarled.

See what I mean? He's an idiot.

"Zero is more than any negative number, genius." I snorted.

"But there's nothing less than zero." James rolled his eyes.

I sighed in exasperation, and turned to walk away, but Brandon held me harshly by the shoulders.

"Blaze, notice anything around us? It's just us. I can do whatever I want to you, and your pretty little girlfriend won't be here for you." Brandon snorted.

"This kid, needing to have a girl of all people to defend him. Such a weak weirdo." James sneered.

Somebody flung their bag at James, toppling him over and causing him to crash into Brandon, who bumped into somebody else, and they all toppled over like dominos. I looked to see who threw the bag, and was surprised to see Cassie.

"And you say I'm weak." She spat at Brandon.

"Cassie!" I cried out, running over to her and gave her a big hug.

"Uh, hi Blaze?" Cassie replied, a little surprised at my embrace.

She hugged me back gratefully.

"When did you get better? Are you okay?" I asked frantically, pulling apart and checking her head for any signs or injuries or damage.

Cassie pulled herself away from my firm grip and gave me a fond smile.

"Blaze, relax, I'm fine." She smiled.

I realised I was holding my breath and breathed out with relief.

"Oh! Hey there Cassie! How are you?" Brandon said suddenly, quickly scrambling to his feet and giving her a 'charming smile'.

I personally thought he looked like a weird psychopath trying to sell candy to kids, but Cassie was definitely not close to as gullible as one.

"I'm not interested in being on your list of girls to date and dump, Brandon." Cassie snapped, giving Brandon a look of distaste.

I looked at Cassie warmly. She looked much healthier than she had a few days ago, her face had the same liveliness and brightness she had before. She turned around to face Brandon angrily, but I saw a small scar the claw clip left hidden behind her midnight blue hair. I hadn't realised this, but Cassie actually had extremely navy hair, not black hair. I honestly had to admit:

She was really pretty.

"Oh, come on, that was a joke, Cassie! Everybody make's jokes!" Brandon spluttered. "Maybe I can share more with you tonight at my house?"