51

As soon as Lauren says that we hear my cell phone start ringing in the bedroom. As I hear the ringtone I know who it is. "Shit, it's Aunt Mary calling, I probably need to answer it." I stand up and get out of the bathtub. I hold my hand out and help Lauren up then quickly walk into the bedroom as I'm wrapping a towel around me. I hear Lauren laughing as I dive across the bed and grab my phone from the nightstand.

    "Hello" I say as I'm trying to catch my breath both from lunging for my phone and from Lauren's pleasure she was giving me in the bathtub. I get off the bed and walk to the kitchen and grab a bottle of water from the fridge.

    As I'm opening the bottle of water Aunt Mary asks "are you home?" I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion because it's weird for her to ask that.

    "Umm, yes ma'am I'm home."

    I nearly choke on the sip of water I just took when Aunt Mary says "I'm at the door. I knocked twice and there was no answer so I thought you were not home but both parking spots for the apartment have vehicles in them. I thought Mike had a house though? Now come open the door so I can see you Kyler. It's been to long and I've missed you so much." Aunt Mary ends the call before I can say anything else. My heart starts racing and as if my body is on autopilot, I make my way to the front door.

    Still wrapped in a towel, I open the door to my Aunt Mary standing there with a smile on her face and her arms open. She steps forward and I walk into her open arms and she squeezes me in a tight hug. She kisses the side of my head "I've missed you baby girl. Why in the world are you wrapped in a towel in the middle of the afternoon?"

   Realization hits me as I pull away from her embrace and she walks past me into the apartment before I can stop her. "I've missed you too Aunt Mary and I was just taking a relaxing bath. Let me run and get dressed."

    I have got to get to the bedroom and let Lauren know who is here so she doesn't come out here especially if she isn't dressed or her hair is wet. As soon as that thought crosses my mind as I turn towards the hallway, Lauren turns the corner wrapped in a towel also. "Sweetie, what was your aunt calling about?" She asks as she turns to walk towards the kitchen. I reach for her arm to stop her and just as she stops, Aunt Mary comes into view with a questioning look on her face.

   I can see all the emotions flash through Laurens eyes and the worry on her face. She tenses up as she is standing beside me like she is frozen in place. Aunt Mary walks over to Lauren holding her hand out "I'm Kyler's Aunt Mary."

   Lauren grips the top of her towel with one hand and with her other hand she shakes my aunt's hand. "I'm Lauren... so nice to meet you. I've..."

   Aunt Mary interrupts Lauren, "Oh I know who you are and I think it's best if both of you get dressed then come explain to me what is going on here."

   Lauren and I both just nod and quickly walk to the bedroom to get dressed. After she gets dressed she sits on the end of the bed and puts her head in her hands. "I can't believe this" she says and I can hear the uneasiness in her voice. I know she is freaking out about this situation because I am too but I'm trying not to show it for her sake. I need to assure her everything will be fine.

   I slowly walk over to the foot of the bed and get on my knees in front of Lauren. I place my hands on her thighs and gently rub my thumbs over her skin reassuringly. "Look at me Lauren." She lifts her head and I see her glossy eyes. "Baby, this is gonna be okay. Don't worry, I will make sure nothing happens, I promise you. I love you so much and don't forget that. Just please don't get in your head and start doubting this. Don't doubt us, please."

   I reach for Lauren's hand, kiss her knuckles then stand up and pull her to her feet too. I pull her in a quick hug and kiss her cheek. She squeezes me in return but never says anything. I take her hand in mine then lead her out of the bedroom while holding her hand. Lauren has never looked this nervous or worried, not even when Julia found out about us. Well maybe when the superintendent was questioning us but that was understandable. I don't think my aunt will do anything harsh or unreasonable. At least I hope, I mean I just promised Lauren everything would be okay and I plan on keeping that promise.

   As soon as Lauren and I turn the corner and walk into the living room Aunt Mary is already staring at us. She looks down at our entwined hands as we walk closer. As soon as Lauren sees where my aunt is looking, she quickly lets go of my hand and steps away from me. I look at her trying to figure out what is running through that beautiful head of hers. Aunt Mary is sitting in the chair and that leaves the couch or loveseat for me and Lauren. Lauren sits at one end of the couch so I automatically sit down beside her.

   "Aunt Mary..." I say but she cuts me off.

   "Kyler, I want to know what is going on here and you better tell the truth. I hope it's not what it seems like. You better not be sleeping with your stepmother who also happens to be your principal."

   Damn, can she not let me talk before interrupting? "How do you know who Lauren is?" I ask.

   "Well if you must know Kyler, I checked out the school before you moved here. Mike had told me his wife was the principal at your new school. I got on the school's website and saw Lauren's picture when checking the school out. That's how I know who she is. Just like I know this is not the address he gave me for his house."

   "Okay, but before you want to jump to conclusions let me explain please Aunt Mary."

   Aunt Mary cuts me off "I will deal with you in a few minutes, first I'm talking to Lauren."

   Aunt Mary looks at Lauren "how could you?" She shakes her head and continues. "You were trusted with my niece, your stepdaughter and a student at your school. Did you seduce her? Did you force her to have sex with you so she would graduate? Do you prey on all the kids at the school?" I am getting pissed hearing my aunt ask Lauren all those ridiculous questions.

   "Hold on Aunt Mary, it's nothing like that." I say but she holds her hand up for me to be quiet.

   "I'm not finished, Kyler, so you can be quiet," Aunt Mary says. "Lauren, what the hell is wrong with you? You are an adult and married to Kyler's father. Yes he is an asshole most of the time but he would not even stoop this low as to prey on a... on a child." I clench my fist hearing my aunts' words and it pisses me off even more when I glance at Lauren and I see tears sliding down her cheeks. I reach out to wipe her tears but she moves away from my hand. This hurts me and pisses me off even more.

   "Okay Aunt Mary that's enough, you can stop! I'm not trying to be disrespectful or anything but I'm not going to sit here and listen to you talk to Lauren like that and accuse her like she is some sort of predator. She did not seduce me and never forced me to do anything. I pursued her, not the other way around. We love each other and I'm an adult so I can make my own decisions. That includes who I date and who I have sex with."

   I take a deep breath, "Lauren is not my stepmom. Her and Mike are divorced and we didn't start seeing each other until after that. I live here with Lauren because he kicked me out for being a lesbian and because I told Lauren about him cheating on mom and his second wife. Yes, we both had feelings for each other since we first met but never acted upon them."