Chapter 58 - Different Paths

"Shin..?! What are you doing here?!" Himeko's voice was filled with surprise.

"I'm following Principal Theresa's orders to protect you two..." I glanced at them both, uncertainty in my eyes. "Although... I have no confidence in beating them."

"Shin, fall back, we got this already."

"Lay down your weapons! I will not help you! You made a mistake. Kiana..." Fu Hua's voice was firm.

"She's not the real Kiana. Theresa and I already knew about this..." Himeko interjected.

"Her powers are unstable. She could rampage at any moment and threaten humanity as a whole."

"Strong words. You're trying to kill an innocent girl, you know that? Is this the type of justice you stand for, Fu Hua?"

"Sacrifices are inevitable in the Honkai War. You know that better than me, Major. Showing mercy to the wrong people can be disastrous."

"You have no idea what 'sacrifices are inevitable' means. The tragedy is not how many people have died... but how we've grown accustomed to the idea that people must die for others to live," Himeko retorted.

"Enough debating... Master Fu Hua, I'll take care of Shin while you take care of the two of them."

"Wait what–!?" Rita suddenly appeared by my side, spinning before kicking me away from Himeko's side.

"Shin!" Himeko shouted as she rushed to Rita, but Fu Hua blocked her path, engaging in combat.

"I'm your opponent for today, Major," Fu Hua declared.

"Tch...!" Himeko clashed blades with Fu Hua, the sound of their clash echoing through the area.

"I'm fine...! Major Himeko!" I slowly got up, taking a defensive stance.

"As expected of Master Shin~ Very tough." Rita spun her scythe. "But it took you so long to get up that I accidentally knocked Dr. Tesla out."

"Tsk... What a sadistic maid." I moved forward, ready to engage with Rita. "It's a two versus two now."

"Fufu~ I'm surprised you can count." Rita knocked me back before dashing forward, poised to strike with her scythe.

I quickly ducked down and aimed for a slash, but Rita dashed back and leaped at me, attempting a plunge attack.

I sidestepped and then kicked her, causing her to stagger back.

"How persistent." Rita's annoyance was evident, but she smiled at me. "But that's what I also like about you."

The clash between Rita and me intensified as we exchanged blows, each strike carrying the weight of our weapons.

Rita swung her scythe with precision, aiming to find an opening in my defense. "You're quite skilled, Master Shin," Rita remarked, a hint of admiration in her voice.

I grunted in response, my focus solely on the fight.

I struggled to anticipate Rita's attacks, her scythe coming dangerously close to piercing my skin.

Left slash, upward turning side slash, it's like I'm fighting against a hound that knows every spot of my opening even with just an inch.

"Not bad, Master Shin," Rita said with a smirk. "But you'll have to do better than that to defeat me."

Her movements were fluid, calculated, and deadly. It was clear that our previous encounter was just a glimpse of her true capabilities.

But again... Everyone has limits.

Just as Rita poised to slash with her scythe, I reacted swiftly.

Ducked under and grabbed the curved shaft of the scythe, catching her off guard. With a quick and forceful strike to her stomach using the handle of my katana.

"Kah!" Rita staggered back.

"It's over."

I knew it.

She is probably surprised how I managed to catch her off guard.

Scythe attacks are generally portrayed as slow and sweeping movements. However, in reality, scythe attacks can vary in speed depending on the skill and strength of the person wielding the scythe.

But since we're talking about Rita here, she's experienced and usually fast with it.

However, the katana is generally considered a faster weapon, allowing for quicker strikes and greater maneuverability.

And if we're talking about speed here, I'm confident that I would win the fight.

"It seems that I have underestimated you, Master Shin... But your stamina sure is holding you back~" Rita taunted, a sly smile on her lips.

"I know," I replied between pants, exhaustion evident in my voice.

"Heh... I'm still wondering why you aren't an S-Rank Valkyrie yet. We could've fought side by side during missions every time."

"That's enough now, Rita... Go back and retreat."

"Oh? Are you ordering me, Master Shin?"

"I'm telling you this as a friend... Go back."

"Master Shin... I'm afraid I can't do that," Rita's tone shifted. Suddenly, she disappeared, reappearing right behind me. "Overseer Otto's orders are more superior."

Before I could react, Rita struck, knocking me to the ground. "Crap... This is why... I shouldn't use my strongest attacks first."

As consciousness slipped away, I noticed Himeko was also knocked down, kneeling in front of Fu Hua.

I'm sorry Major Himeko.

[Changing Point of View to Rita Rossweisse]

"Are you done, Master Fu Hua?" Rita asked as she approached, Himeko kneeling on the ground nearby.

"Yeah."

"Then..." Rita turned towards them, her expression darkening, "Allow me to deal the coup de grace."

Just then, Fu Hua stepped in front of Himeko. "I've said it before... If you don't wish to become my enemy, then do not hurt them."

"Understood, Master Fu Hua. Then we'll bring them back to the church as prisoners... except..." Rita turned towards Shin, her eyes lingering on him, "I'll take care of him."

"What are you going to do with him?" Himeko demanded.

Rita turned to look at Himeko over her shoulder. "Let's just say... I owe him one."

[A/N: Yipee! We're almost at 50k Views! I wonder if we can reach those view counts before Himeko's dea– I mean Kiana's redemption arc! Also short chapter for now (SORRY)]