Chapter Twelve

The next morning, Shannon woke up in Jonathan's arms, which was odd because he was always up before her. She lay a few minutes wondering what had happened last night after she had been injected. At first, she couldn't seem to remember exactly what happened, but slowly the memory of the hallucination came. She remembered Zsasz, the men, and all the dead people… the people she loved… A shiver shot up her spine and for a moment she was lost in the pure horror.

"I see you're up, darling," Jonathan whispered gently, having felt her body tense. But as soon as she heard his voice, she relaxed. Jonathan smiled softly and kissed her hair.

"What… what happened last night Jonathan?" Shannon asked softly, snuggling against Jonathan.

"Wondrous discoveries, my love," Jonathan told her, running his fingers lightly through her hair before sitting up and getting out of bed, "I believe I may be able to cure you of your fears… I can make you as fearless as me, Shannon." This news made Shannon's eyes grow wide.

"What?" she asked, unbelieving, "Me? Not scared? Jonathan, it's a lovely thought to be unafraid… but I don't think it is possible."

"With my help it is," Jonathan assured, taking his glasses from the side table and putting them on, "And that is exactly what we are going to do." He turned to Shannon and scooped her up into his arms.

"J-Jonathan… What do you mean? What about work?" Shannon asked, now rather confused. It was Tuesday. They should be eating by now…

"Maternity leave," Jonathan announced, carrying Shannon down the hall and into the mysterious room that was his office, "Or so Mr. Arkham thinks… I'll have shorter hours and you'll have over nine months off… Or until this experiment is done."

"You told him I was pregnant?!" Shannon squeaked, "Jonathan, I'm not having a baby! Not yet, at least.. What are you going to do when he figures that out?!" Of course, Jonathan only shrugged.

"Mr. Arkham won't ask questions to his favored employee," he explained, kicking open his office door and taking Shannon inside. He sat her on his desk and then went behind it to look at a beaker that was bubbling over a burner.

"B-but, Jonathan.. I like my job…" Shannon mumbled, pouting at him. Jonathan didn't even look  up at her, though, as he scribbled something down on a pad of paper.

"Shannon, please, it's only a year's time. Probably less," Jonathan assured his sulking wife, "I'm sure your patients will be cared for well. Now stop that pouting." Shannon sighed. He didn't even have to see her to know the expression on her face… She couldn't help but smile a little at that thought.

"What about my parents? What will I tell them?" Shannon wondered aloud.

"Same thing we are telling Mr. Arkham. You're pregnant," Jonathan informed her, glancing up to see her.

"They will want to see me…" she mentioned

"We will say you are sick," Jonathan shrugged.

"They'll want me in a hospital.."

"I'm a doctor," Jonathan reminded her.

"But, you're just a-" Shannon couldn't finish that thought as Jonathan walked around the desk and placed a gentle kiss on her lips.

"Just trust me, alright?" Jonathan whispered against her lips. And how could Shannon say no?

"Of course I trust you," she smiled, then bit her lip before going to ask, "So, what are you going to be doing..? To… to make me 'fearless'?" Jonathan backed away from her and smiled.

"So you will let me do it, then? No questions?" Jonathan asked, before brushing a strand of hair from Shannon's face. He saw her face contort in thought a moment, but he sent her a breathtaking smile and she crumbled just as he wanted her to.