Chapter Seventeen

"Zsasz has escaped," Jonathan breathed angrily, throwing the paper away from himself, "Gone for two days… two days, Edward. He's a serial killer… And no one even knew it.."

"It said that he killed the guards attending to his section, and then the rest of the prisoners there, too… No one noticed until the warden went down to see why he hadn't gotten any reports," Edward mumbled, running a hand through his red hair, "Thirteen people… That man is truly evil and just as crazy as the Joker."

"No, the Joker isn't even as crazy as that murderer," Jonathan muttered, slamming a fist down on the table, "He only does things to mess with the Batman- meaning he doesn't have much purpose anymore… Zsasz thinks he's helping these people by killing them.. At least the Joker makes some sense." Edward wasn't sure how true it was to say anyone was crazier than Joker, but he didn't question his hurting friend.

"Either way," he ended up sighing as Jonathan stood and went to stand by the curtain covered window. Edward looked over to him as the sounding of sirens passed. Police were scouring the streets, and all vehicles leaving the city were being searched for either Zsasz or Jonathan- two extremely dangerous escaped convicts.

"We're going after him," Jonathan told Edward as he stared blankly at the thick curtain. Edward let out a low breath, having known this would probably be Jonathan's decision as soon as he learned Zsasz was out. Though Edward didn't know the full story, he did know Zsasz had played a part in Shannon's fear due to Jonathan's rants when he had come over during earlier years.

"Jonathan, you need to stay out of sight for a while," Edward reasoned, "In a few weeks, all this will calm down. Someone else will rob a bank and gain the Gotham Police's attention… No Batman means more time to go after Zsasz."

"I don't want to wait, Edward," Jonathan hissed, his body tensing angrily, "I want that man at the mercy of my toxin; I want him to be in fear. I want his fear to kill him as… her fear killed her… He made her that way, Edward!"

"I know, Jonathan. But you need to wait!"

"I don't have to listen to you!"

"You'll be caught, Jonathan! You need to wait for all of this to calm down, then do whatever it is you want!"

"She needs vengeance, Edward!"

"She doesn't need anything!" Edward retorted, standing up angrily before taking a breath and sinking back down in his chair, "Jonathan, she is gone. She doesn't need anything now but you to be happy. You know that is what she would want- you safe and happy."

Jonathan didn't say a thing, just stared at the curtain, but he knew Edward was right..That is what Shannon would want of him… After a few moments of silently standing, Jonathan turned on his heel and walked straight back to the room he was staying in, closing the door behind him with a snap. Edward sighed, shaking his head. He had never before seen Jonathan like he was now, but he knew something had truly changed within the man with the death of his wife..

"Oh God, Shannon," Edward breathed almost inaudibly, "Why'd you have to just go like that…" He knew none of it was the deceased girl's fault, but it seemed she was the only one Edward could talk to even if she wasn't there. "He won't say your name… I know he's all torn up.. Why'd it have to end this way…"

Standing slowly, Edward walked over to pick up the newspaper and opened it past the front page about Blackgate. Inside there were obituaries for all those killed by Zsasz, followed by an article on Bruce Wayne's latest donations to all those affected and another, larger article on Batman. Fan letters, conspiracies, and 'thank you' notes to the departed hero. Edward flipped another page and stopped as he saw an old article he recognized reading when he was just in high school- the one about Victor Zsasz's last attack.