Chapter Thirteen

Tonight on Gotham News Channel Five, we have breaking news! Batman, with the help of the GCPD, caught two of the most infamous villains in Gotham.

The Joker and the Scarecrow were caught robbing a bank late this evening. Their motives are undeclared. There was no sign of Harleen Quinzel, the former doctor of Arkham who now is known by 'Harley Quinn'. The-

Wait, we are getting a message from the Gotham City Police Department. It seems while the Joker still remains a John Doe, the Scarecrow has been unmasked as Jonathan Crane, doctor at Arkham Asylum and son-in-law to Police Chief Gordon! We are taking you live now to-

The television switched off as Shannon's hands shook violently, her eyes tearing up. She had woken up an hour ago and saw Jonathan was missing. She had guessed he had only gone into work as he sometimes had to, so she had made her way to the spare room where the only television in the Crane household was located. In turning it on, she had seen it was switched to the news, which was showing various clips of the three 'Gotham Rogues', as they were called. Harley Quinn, Joker, and the last, Scarecrow. Deep in her mind, Shannon recognized the body of the man she loved most. The one that held her, comforted her, and made her safe… But she hadn't wanted to admit it to herself.

Somewhere in the house she heard her phone ringing, but she didn't have it in her to get up to answer it. Then there was a knocking on her door… She frowned a little, tears still streaking down her cheeks. It couldn't be her father.. He would be at work, or possibly- hopefully- finding a way to get Jonathan out of jail… Maybe it was her mother… Or maybe-

"Mrs. Craaaaaane," a nasally, accented voice sang loud enough to echo through the house, "Mrs. Crane? Are you in missy?" Shannon stood slowly, leaning on the wall for support and began making her way slowly towards the hall. She apparently wasn't fast enough for whoever was on the other side of the front door, though, as there was a sharp CRACK, followed by a loud CRASH!

"W-who is t-there?" Shannon stuttered nervously, hanging on to the door frame, horrified. She heard the footsteps approaching in a quick fashion. Then from behind the arch connecting the hallway and kitchen popped a young woman a little younger than Shannon. She wore a red halter top, tight black jeans, and red platform heels. Her hair was tied up in two high pigtails and a wide smile was on her face.

"Well, there ya are, Mrs. Crane!" she cried happily in what Shannon identified as a Brooklyn accent, "I knew ya had ta be in here- Crane said you were rather sick… Whatcha doin' outta bed?"

"I-I'm not… not really sick…" Shannon mumbled, confused on who this lady was, "We… We've just been… We've been running experiments…"

"On what?" the lady questioned curiously, still smiling brightly.

"Me…" Shannon told her, to which the lady became rather shocked.

"He's been running experiments on ya?! What do you… Well, you can explain later. I'm Harley, by the way! We used to work together, not that we ever saw each other. I worked with the really nutty people like Mistah J," Harley Quinn grinned, causing Shannon's eyebrows to furrow.

"W-Why are you here?" Shannon asked cautiously as Harley skipped up next to her and wrapped an arm around her waist.

"Ta getcha outta here, silly! Can't have your daddy questionin' ya!" Harley explained, dragging Shannon along. Shannon dragged her feet, not wanting to move, but Harley was rather strong for a thin woman.

"B-but I don't know anything! I promise!" Shannon assured Harley, afraid of leaving her home, the last place she saw as safe, "P-please, don't make me leave! What if Jonathan comes back, what if-"