Chapter 9: Slumber Party...Yay

I couldn't help but feel a sense of pride swell in my chest as I walked back to my dorm. I had been marked. I could see why this was viewed as a right of passage among the students attending Eternal. I loved everything about the process, especially the outcome. The two dragons on my navel seemed like they had always belonged there. When I had been marked, it was like I had discovered a new part of myself that I had never known existed.

I swiped my room key across the door's lock as I walked into my dorm, and then into the bathroom. I stood in front of the mirror and lifted up my shirt so I could see my mark again. I smiled as I traced over the design with my fingers, admiring the intricacy. I felt a sort of childish joy fill my soul. I was very much content.

I walked out into my room and collapsed on my bed. I noticed that someone—most likely Hazu—had picked out some new sheets for me. They were crimson red with orange and gold patterns designed to look like flames. I let the smooth fabric run between my fingers, letting a sense of relaxation flood my body. I would get a good night's sleep tonight.

Or, at least, that's what I thought would happen.

As my eyelids slowly began to heavy with the weight of sleep, I was jerked out of my bliss by an abrupt knocking. I got up and grumpily opened the door. Outside of my room were none other than Kallan, Talia and Hazu. Kallan blew a blue party horn in my face and Talia placed a hand on her hips, a smirk crossing her face. Hazu was playing with her fingers nervously and giving a small smile.

"We heard you were marked." Talia said.

I raised my eyebrow. "Okay, yeah. So?"

"Well, we have to celebrate!" Kallan said, blowing the party horn in my face once again. I immediately started searching for clues as to what they could mean by 'celebrate'. I noticed that they were all wearing pajamas, and that Hazu was hugging a pillow tightly. Oh, no...slumber party.

"Uh...let's not." I said, trying to close the door. My efforts proved futile as Talia held the door open with her foot.

"Come on, Princess." Kallan said, clapping her hands together and sticking out her lower lip. "We just want to have some fun!"

"One: I don't like the term 'princess'." I began. "That would imply that I am a spoiled little brat that can't fend for herself in this cruel world. Second: I..." I stopped myself before I could say anything more. They didn't need to know that I'd never been invited to a sleep over—slumber party, whatever you want to call it. There were always kids that would have big parties in school, and I had always been left out. No one cared about me. That's why I hated them. I recollected myself and spoke again. "I have school tomorrow, and so do all of you. We shouldn't be staying up all night."

"That's why we brought Blue Moon berries." Hazu said in a hushed voice. I looked at her curiously, then she squealed and hid behind Talia.

"What?" I asked.

"It's a type of plant that can get you a full night's rest in five minutes." Talia explained. "They're used all the time on campus."

"I don't know..." I trailed off, biting my lip nervously. "I—I-"

"Please?" Kallan begged.

I looked at all three of the girls, who were all now begging—save for Talia who gave me a look that clearly said 'say yes, or you die'. I sighed after a few moments and finally gave into the undefeatable powers of peer pressure. "Fine." I grumbled.

The girls cheered and all barreled into the dorm room.

* * *

I tried to get out of the whole slumber party thing by saying I didn't have any actual pajamas to wear, but Kallan quickly worked me out of that one by saying that Hazu had brought a pair just for me. Soon, I was shoved into the bathroom and forced to try it on. I walked out after an extensive period of persuasion from my peers, greeted by Kallan's high-pitched squeals.