30.

Clickity-click.

I woke up as the thunder shook my house. Just in time to see the power fade. My dog was freaking out. As usual he hates storms. He was walking from room to room, his nails going clickity-click on my hardwood floor. He neve has been this afraid of the dark. I rummaged through my night stand's drawer, to find a flashlight. He stopped and yelped.

"Calm down Max, I'm looking for it." I heard his nails against my floor as he made his way to me in the dark. Finally turning  out the flashlight, I clicked it on to make him feel better. "Come on Max, I've got the light." I said while scanning my room with the light from my bed. I caught a glimpse of his nose from behind a bookcase.

"Come on boy, it's okay." He peeked his head barely, with a look of frozen terror on his brown eyes. Then pulled it back again.

"Whatever, I'm thirsty anyways." I huff and get out of bed, I stumble my way to the kitchen then stopped dead in my tracks.

What lay before me made me nearly vomit, the limp body across my kitchen floor was my say dog, drowned in his own blood, his head has been hacked off. As I tried to recover, I heard the clicking of nails against my floor, approaching behind me.

---

Lesson:

Dogs can't protect you from ghosts.