part 1

leave
lēv/
verb

go away from.

•••

harry never believed in violence. he didn't like the idea of beating someone with blunt force, though he would happily defend himself if he was ever in a fight.

harry relied on his wit and charm to save him in moments of tension, and it usually worked, because he was wonderful.

so he avoided beatings from his parents and other adults, while he watched his mates get pounded on through their childhoods.

and though he thought it was wrong, he did nothing to change it, because adults were always correct, and he was but a child.

at the age of twelve, his family bought a newspaper office to work off debt brought by his father to their farm.

and at age thirteen, he met a bright boy from doncaster, named louis; the name rolled off his tongue so softly, it was even lighter than butter.

and at fourteen he courted the bright boy, who allowed harry to bloom so, they were inseparable.

and on christmas of his fifteenth year, harry learned louis was signed in london training to be a doctor.

so when harry got his letter of conscription, at sixteen, he wasn't scared. he was too young, but he was dared to walk in to a training office by a friend to sign just after germany started the mess, stating he was almost eighteen.

they took him seriously.

there was no reason he wasn't scared, because it was war and war was scary, and harry was leaving his country to fight, leaving his home and family.

but he went, giving his mother a kiss and a hug, along with the same and a joke to his sister, a handshake for his fatherly figure, and he left his family home, following his sister's beau to the blue ford that was going to take them to the train station.

the station was packed with loved ones crowding the platforms.

his uniform ended up wrinkling around his waist from the way he was sat, and the only thing that gave him comfort was that every other soldier on the train was sitting the same way, and didn't seem too concerned.

there was an older gentleman talking loudly behind him, speaking of a canadian that helped him in the first war, hoping he could find the man again, toast over a drink before serving themselves to churchill's orders.

he sounded like louis, the way he bounced from idea to idea, never settling and just being all around loud.

but harry knew it wasn't louis.