Chapter 9-

"What are you smiling about?" Zoey asks as soon as I get home.
"Hmm?"
"Asher, I know you. You like someone." Zoey teases.
"Maybe I do.." I admit.
"What's her name?!" Zoey asks all sing songy.
"Aly.." I mumble.
"Oooh!! Aly!!"
"Shush!" I roll my eyes.
"Aly Aly Aly..." Zoey mumbles.
"Does she know?!"
"What?"
"That you have Tourette's. You have to tell her if you want to date her!"
"First of all, we literally just met so we aren't dating yet. Secondly, I met her at this group at school and...and yeah I told her." I cut to the chase.
"Awww!!"
"Stop!" I whine as my whole body kind of shakes.

"Well, Jamie is coming over and we are making costumes for my Hallobirthday!" Zoey changes the subject.

"But that's over a month away..."

"Jamie insists it is the biggest day of the year. It is never too early to start!"

"Alright..." I giggle.

"Where's Mom?" I ask since I haven't seen her since I got home, and Zoey always knows what's going on.

"She discovered the local JCC." Zoey laughs.

That was Mom's go to place back home. Almost everything we own for the holidays she bought at the JCC. Seder plates, candle holders, jewelry, even my first tallit!

"Of course." I laugh.

Ring ring ring!!!!!!!

Zoey and I stare at each other- our first phone call at the house since we moved.

"I-I'll get it.." I reluctantly volunteer myself as tribute.

"Hello?"

"Hi..Asher?" A familiar voice speaks.

"Hi, who's this?" I ask.

"Aly Roth...your buddy."

Aly...How does she have...oh, Mom...

"Hey. What's up?" I ask.

"Hi..Just following up on our buddy session. Wondering how you are doing now that you survived your second day of school. One more day until the weekend!"

I smile.

"It was great, thank you. How about yours?" I ask.

"Thanks for asking! It was alright, but I have a lot of homework.."

"Aw, that is annoying." I respond.

"Yeah..I have to read the Scarlet Letter..."

"Me too!" I roll my eyes.

"Really? Well, what's your favorite subject?" Aly asks.

"Hmm...I guess science right behind gym. I don't like history or English too much because I don't like to read." I admit.

"How come you don't like to read?"

"I can't concentrate for too long on it." I state. "But which is your favorite?"

"Math. For sure. But I am taking psychology as my elective this year so I'm thinking I may like that too."

"Wow, that's cool. I'm taking engineering as my elective."

"That's awesome! I think my brother will take those classes once he's in high school, he knows everything about trains and locomotives."
"That's really cool."
Silence...what do I say next.
"Do you have any hobbies?" Aly asks.
"Uh..I mean other then basketball I guess I like to draw from time to time."
"Me too! Who wouldn't love drawing!" Aly bubbles.
"Yeah, right?"
"ASHER! Can you help me unload the car?!" Mom yells from the driveway.
Ugh.
"Well I have to go now. It was nice speaking with you, Aly."
"You too, Asher! Remember, anytime you need a friend to talk to, you can call me! Before you go, do you need to copy down my number?"
"ASHER!!"
"You know, I actually have caller id. But thank you, it means a lot."
"Ok! Bye!"
"Bye."
Click.
"ASH!!"
"Alright! Alright!" I roll my eyes as I kick up my foot and slowly walk outside.
"You're still limping from yesterday." Mom tells me.
"That was just my foot tic." I explain.
"Yes, that was...but before that. Don't try to hide it Asher or it will just get worse and then you'll really not be able to play any sports."
"Which reminds me, basketball  tryouts are next week..." I mumble.
"When next week?"
"I think Wednesday."
"Wednesday! Those close minded-" Mom starts to yell in frustration.
"Wait what?"
Wink wink blink
"You're not going in then, it's the first day of Rosh Hashanah"
Craaaaap
"I mean, technically I'm not breaking anything by dribbling a basketball right?"
"You have to be in school to try out, Asher." Mom reminds me.
"Well that's stupid. I wonder who decided that!" I huff.
"So find out if you can try out another day. Just remember, Ash. If they give you a hard time then that team is just not for you."
I look down. I may not play basketball?...
"Ok?"
"Yep..."
We unload everything in the car.
Only two days at this place and so much has gone down...

First author's note! Yay! Kind of a filler chapter, but it's leading up to a lot! Really hope you guys like it. Trying to keep it as realistic as possible ☺️
Thank you so much for reading!! Really means A LOT!!😘😘😘😘
-Champ613💕⚽️🏐🏀🏉🏈⚾️🎾🏓🏸🏒⛳️🏌🚣⛹⛸